Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As today was Fathers Day, I was allowed to choose where we went for the day. We ended up having a picnic on a green lane called Houndkirk Road which runs over the moors above Sheffield. It's a fairly rocky/sandy surface which is drivable all year round with Fox House boozer at one end and The Norfolk Arms(S11 7TS) at t'other. I've been on this lane quite a bit with the foz, but never all the way over as mine was the only car on at the time and i feared getting stuck on one of the axel twisters or bottomed out on a step. But i have walked all the way and i think it will be a great test for the foz.

So i was wondering if anybody fancied a getting a wheel in the air sometime soon.

Look for The Norfolk Arms (S11 7TS) on Google maps and click on satellite view. Look south of the pub for the lane running passed a triangular plantation and onto Parson House outdoor center then joining the A6187 near Fox House.
A few pics of what to expect...

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
I would but the impending WRX shock swop may not allow such epic off roading! Am not sure that they are the way forward so if I don't go with them I'll be up for it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I see you have the light bar mounted in those pics :biggrin:

looks like an epic lane. Iv been looking around my area for some good green lanes/byways. Not alot around my area, nothing as good as that anyways.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
Good idea. As long as a stock s turbo (i.e no low ratio) would cope and I only need spend money on fuel I'll come along. Not got any spare cash for tyres or engines guards at the moment.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me... when were you thinking of going?

I'm on WRX struts at the moment so I'd probably get about 10 yards but I have some new Forester struts now and I'm waiting on some up-rated springs to lift my ride height back up to stock (in theory, they arrive and be fitted next couple of weeks ;o)

Ben, the WRX shocks do make the Forester handle well and if I was only going to drive on the road (or the odd muddy field), then would stick with them.

However, for me, the car has lost some of it's "Forester-ness" and I would like to be able to go off the beaten track on occasion so I've decided to mod mine to be more Rally Raid than tarmac king....

You're more than welcome to have a go in mine to see how it handles on WRX struts before you do yours if you like. Alternatively, the new springs I'm getting are going to be 204 lb/in (front) and 145-175 lb/in (rear) so will hopefully give me a good middle ground between the handling of the WRX struts and the clearance/off-road capabilities of the Forester.

Once I have fitted them and have worked out any teething issues (the manufacturer has said they are happy to tweak them FOC until we get them spot on), I'll do a little write-up as they might be a good option for other people too - esp. as they are going to be less than £200 inc VAT and delivery for the full set - you can even chose you're own spring rates and right height! :woohoo:

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Ian, sounds like a heck of a good deal for under £200. I'll look fwd to reading the write up (with pics mate!!)

mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
It's not a bad price is it ;o)

They've used my original springs as templates plus some specs for STI Pink springs, Tein H.tech springs and King Springs to figure out our spring rates so I'm hoping for good things.

We've had to do a bit of guess work on the rear as I'm converting from SLS to non-SLS and therefore my stock springs couldn't be relied on to set the ride height accurately. However, the company that's making them have done a lot of work on Rover SD1 springs (which use a similar leveling system) in the past so fingers crossed we won't be far off.

·
Registered
2005 2.0XT Auto
461 Posts
Getting a bit off topic aren't we chaps?

I'm in, looks like great fun.

Any ideas when?

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dunno when yet. Anything less than stock ride hight would be unwise as there are some rock crawl sections and we'll have to have spotters to place rocks/build steps to get over them i think just to be safe. Any vehicle recovery gear you have may be needed too. Might be overkill, but you never know.

I read in LRO Mag a few months back they managed to get a Ford Cortina over it with a little help so nothing too drastic.

If you have Ordnance Survey Map OL1 1:25 000 'The Peak District' the lane runs from Ringinglow to Fox House Inn over Burbage Moor.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
mdg

i was up there a couple of weeks ago now (on foot, mind). Nice and rocky at the fox house end! :) See you there!!

mike

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Realistically, August is going to be the earliest for me... how soon were others thinking of going?

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was thinking a little earlier than August, but if it turns out to be a great days fozzying we'll be doing it again later in the year.

Just remembered, this is the track where tthe now infamouse nose picking with one wheel in the air pic was taken. Perhaps we can all recreat the pose for the next offroad FOTM.

A little light reading...
http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=76&Itemid=490

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
702 Posts
Looks good to me, realistically it would be August for me aswell though. I'm on holidays and weddings for most of July.

Looks like there is some opportunity to get off the trail along there aswell, could make for a good day out!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We really really must stick to the designated trails as the folks who live around this and many other green lanes, not to mention ramblers/walkers and other sticky beaks are watching and waiting to gather ammo against vehicular access to them. I've e-mailed the S.Yorks rep at GLASS for the lowdown on this lane to see what's what.

http://www.glass-uk.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=129

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
I agree, need to stick to the trail unfortunately.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
702 Posts
Fair enough, it's always best to stay on the good side of the locals on things like this.

I spent most of my childhood arguing with people about where I could ride my bike, then worked out that it is a lot easier to come to some kind of agreement!

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, lets set a date for this then...

SAT 31st July or SUN 1st August 2010

If more than 5 cars, then i think we ought to do two dates. Most Land Rover green lane runs have a max of five vehicles so we'll do the same. Obviously, anyone who does not want to abuse their foz off road is still welcome and can help with wheel placement etc.

Who's in?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Can't do 31st as I'm booked in with Bob Rawle but the 1st should be doable - will check with the social secretary.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts