Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everybody, my name is Andy and I am in Colorado hence my well thought out username.

I am a brand new owner of a 2014 Forester and when I say brand new, we got it on Wednesday - and we are loving it.

So this weekend I intend playing with some of the voice command stuff but I have a question that the manual on the Nav system doesn't seem to answer and I am hoping that a first post plea might get me the answer.

I have paired my cell phone with the system, but using the voice command to dial seems to be ummm... problematical. I have about 6 number in the speed dial on my phone and according to the manual one of the voice commands listed is "speed dial". However when I say "speed dial" the nice lady says "command not recognized".

I went into the command list for phone to see if I had to activate that command, but it isn't listed. Is "speed dial" a recognized command?

Thanks for any help more technically-minded users can offer.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
On the non-nav units, speed dial is performed by pressing the off-hook button on the steering wheel, followed by one of the six radio station preset buttons on the head unit. Is there an equivalent on the nav touch screen?

The voice system, while functional, isn't exactly "speedy" in my experience.

I use Siri over Bluetooth when I want to talk to a computer, and it works much better.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Do you actually have Speed Dial numbers programmed? On my '14 XT with HK system, when I select Voice Command and then say "Hands Free" the third option which appears on the screen is "Speed Dial Number". When I then say "Speed Dial 1" the system prompts me for a confirmation and then dials the first phone number in my speed dial list. I tried with another number too. Works fine for me. This suggests that something in your setup is not complete. I suspect that your system doesn't see any numbers programmed as speed dial and thus doesn't give you the speed dial option.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i CVT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you actually have Speed Dial numbers programmed? On my '14 XT with HK system, when I select Voice Command and then say "Hands Free" the third option which appears on the screen is "Speed Dial Number". When I then say "Speed Dial 1" the system prompts me for a confirmation and then dials the first phone number in my speed dial list. I tried with another number too. Works fine for me. This suggests that something in your setup is not complete. I suspect that your system doesn't see any numbers programmed as speed dial and thus doesn't give you the speed dial option.
That sounds like a likely solution, I'll give it a try and report back.

Oh and thanks to the mods for moving this to the section it belongs in. Noobs! :icon_redface:

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0 XT CVT
13 Posts
Please maybe any of you can help me out with Voice Command.
It should work in Spanish (adjustments, voice: Spanish) but works only in English.Everyting else works fine in Spanish.
While I figure out and until Subaru gives me a solution (waiting for some weeks already)
could you let me know some basic commands in English to make it work?
I figured out: Help, Hands Free, Speed dial, Call (name), Radio.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I have a limited with nav, and use the handsfree all the time. I have never used speed dial command.

Commands to dial (from my memory)
Hit the button on the steering wheel for phone off hook,

<command> Handsfree
System says handsfree command please
<command> Call First Name, last name, number {cell, home, etc}
System says calling name, number, please say yes to proceed
<command> yes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Also a new Forester owner with Voice Command questions

Just got a 2015 Forester with Nav. I've been playing with voice commands for making calls. I'm doing what I recall the salesman telling me to do without success. My phone is successfully paired and phone book copied.

So I don't keep calling the wrong people:

1. Do I press the "voice" button or the "off hook" button to activate the system?

2. Since I confuse easily :frown2: what is the sequence for calling someone? My old car (VW Jetta) was simply "Call Last Name, First Name)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts