Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XT 2.0 Turb Manual
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Forester Turbo 2.0 XT

Timing belt was changed at 60000. Its got 85000 miles on right now. On last MOT my garage recommended I get a new timing belt fitted but my service manual suggests circa 120000 miles (I was going to do this about 105000 miles to err on the side of caution).

Can you let me know what your recommendations would be for the second timing belt change?

I've only had the car a few weeks, and after seeing nuts and bolts exit the bonnet of past cars really do not want to trash this car as I've lusted after it for about 5 years and have had to do some serious saving up...

Kind regards
Simon

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I see you've found the Europe forum :biggrin:

The UK service regime is somewhat different to the US.

Below is the extended service schedule for the SG forester and other Subaru vehicles on a 10,000mile/annual service scheme.............

Timing (camshaft) belt down for change every 50,000 miles.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,781 Posts
Is there a real reason for this large difference in the timing belt change? It's 105k miles in the US, 50k miles in the UK, and I've seen reports here from Germany that say 100k km!

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
With the SF5 having 7500 mile/6 month servicing schedule the belt was changed at 60,000 miles - go figure:crazy:

·
Administrator
19,781 Posts
What does your owners manual say? It truly is 105k miles (not 105k km, which does coincidentally equal about 60k miles!) for US spec Subarus, and I really don't think that the differences in spec would even get close to involving this part of the system.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,984 Posts
The workshop manuals for Europe and the "Rest of the World" (excluding US and Canada) have different schedules as well.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Someone from the local dealership told me my 04XT is due for a timing belt change at 60K. I always thought it's 105K.
Its 105k miles. I'm curious what affects the timing belt the most. I've beaten my 04XT VERY hard since I got it and the timing belt looked basically new when replaced at 110,000 miles, only the printing on the backside of the belt was a bit worn away. However all the rubber hoses in the engine bay are wearing out and cracking.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
What about your water pump, pulleys etc?

I've read instances where they brake at around 50-60K miles, that's why I was considering it. The dealer only quoted 3 hours for the job, which I thought is very decent.

·
Administrator
19,781 Posts
It gets even more complicated when you include water pump in the discussion. We've had reports here that some dealers refuse to replace them as part of the 105k mile timing belt job, claiming that it's not necessary and simply a waste of money! True, it's not a part of the official schedule. But most of us consider it insurance—money well spent.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
What about your water pump, pulleys etc?

I've read instances where they brake at around 50-60K miles, that's why I was considering it. The dealer only quoted 3 hours for the job, which I thought is very decent.
I'd do it all at 105k. They generally last longer than 105k, but usually will start going before the 2nd timing belt change, and its easiest to just do -everything- while its all apart already.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Auto
3 Posts
Hey. I purchased my 2.0xt at 108k, the previous owner had lost the service history, and was unaware when the belt was changed. It's now up to 110k, is it worth the risk to presume it has been change before, or just get it done?

·
Registered
2006 2.5L XT Luxury MT 5MT
138 Posts
Hey. I purchased my 2.0xt at 108k, the previous owner had lost the service history, and was unaware when the belt was changed. It's now up to 110k, is it worth the risk to presume it has been change before, or just get it done?
I believe most will agree that you should not take the risk. Replace the timing belt, tensioner, pulleys and water pump all in one go!

I would guess that the belt was never changed by the fact the previous owner doesn't recall, as it's not something relatively cheap to do (cheaper than replacing the entire engine when it fails, though).

If you're okay with tools, it's not a terrible DIY job either!

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Not worth the risk, safe assumption is that it has not been done. Looking at the belt alone wont tell you much, often after 100K they look about the same as they do at 5K, the printing is worn off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts