Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester XT CVT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wishing my MY14 FXT makes a nicer sound with that boxer grumble from idle. Weird complaint, maybe, but I find the engine NVH almost too refined !

I've looked at the posts about the Invidia and Nameless performance cat-back exhausts and like that type of sound too.

My questions -

1) if I am not seeking extra performance, but just want a nicer sound, is it just a matter of changing the mufflers and back ?

2) Also, will that require any retuning , adjustments elsewhere for reliability ?

3) If I do decide to do a more complete exhaust tune later on, will the new mufflers be compatible, or will I need to junk them and purchase a full system ?

Apologies if these are very simple questions, but I am indeed new to tuning / mods.

Thanks. Jason.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT CVT
153 Posts
I'm wishing my MY14 FXT makes a nicer sound with that boxer grumble from idle. Weird complaint, maybe, but I find the engine NVH almost too refined !

I've looked at the posts about the Invidia and Nameless performance cat-back exhausts and like that type of sound too.

My questions -

1) if I am not seeking extra performance, but just want a nicer sound, is it just a matter of changing the mufflers and back ?

Yes, pretty much.

2) Also, will that require any retuning , adjustments elsewhere for reliability ?

A simple muffler swap is not likely to cause any issue. Some people will argue back pressure differences but it would be considered a very mild modification. A higher flow cat may allow for some performance gain but a tune would be required to take advantage.

3) If I do decide to do a more complete exhaust tune later on, will the new mufflers be compatible, or will I need to junk them and purchase a full system ?

That depends somewhat. If you replace just the mufflers and want easy future upgrades then you would need to pick a system that includes the option for the other pipes and cat. That way you know that later you can add those parts. Or pick some mufflers you like for now, and later on if you do more sell them and buy a complete system. Lastly, a good exhaust fabricator can often adapt or custom bend/make and weld pipes to join up a system.

I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, 2008-2010 ; )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks. That really clears things up for me.

I must be getting older, but I'm very happy with the stock tune for the time being. The weedy exhaust sound at idle and low revs does annoy me.

Hope you had a good time in Melbourne. I may be biased but I really think its the most livable city in the world. :icon_cool:

Cheers. Jason.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT CVT
153 Posts
Many thanks. That really clears things up for me.

I must be getting older, but I'm very happy with the stock tune for the time being. The weedy exhaust sound at idle and low revs does annoy me.

Hope you had a good time in Melbourne. I may be biased but I really think its the most livable city in the world. :icon_cool:

Cheers. Jason.
No worries. The stock tune is very good, the motor is excellent. A lot of people will miss the familiar "subaru sound" but it is mostly gone because the older boxer engines had unequal length exhaust headers which resulted in the burble sound. The FA20 engine has equal length headers and a very quiet exhaust system. I do believe there will be tuning options eventually since we now know the new WRX will have the same FA20DIT that the XT has.

Melbourne is a world class city, I miss it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of people will miss the familiar "subaru sound" but it is mostly gone because the older boxer engines had unequal length exhaust headers which resulted in the burble sound. The FA20 engine has equal length headers and a very quiet exhaust system.
That is a shame. The boxer rumble is so distinctive, there's almost no need for Subaru badges. In any case, I learnt something new... :shrug:

Thanks again. Jason.

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
831 Posts
That is a shame. The boxer rumble is so distinctive, there's almost no need for Subaru badges. In any case, I learnt something new... :shrug:

Thanks again. Jason.
I personally couldn't stand weak sounding stock exhaust on my FB engine, so I installed a set of Nameless mufflers and haven't looked back. There's a fellow up here in the NW that has a new Nameless exhaust on his 14 XT and he seems to like his as well. Good luck with your quest.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
The cvt and resonator on the downpipe make it fairly quiet on the xt. I think the 6speed is more of a normal car tone.

I enjoy my exhaust. I'm wondering how loud it get if I mod the downpipe down the line.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did see this on youtube, might be something you're looking for:
2014 Subaru Forester XT Invidia N1 Dual Exhaust - YouTube
The cvt and resonator on the downpipe make it fairly quiet on the xt. I think the 6speed is more of a normal car tone.

I enjoy my exhaust. I'm wondering how loud it get if I mod the downpipe down the line.
:icon_eek: Wait a minute, thats your FXT !! Thought I was seeing double. Also found your clip (lcrazyaznl) on Youtube looking for "Tuned Subaru Forester."

Yes, I like that sound, also looks great.

Do the tips come heat-coloured or are they the product of some hard driving ?

Thanks guys. Jason.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
The tips are titianium tips already heated/colored. I posted a thread on here. 09-13 wrx exhaust fits.

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
I personally couldn't stand weak sounding stock exhaust on my FB engine, so I installed a set of Nameless mufflers and haven't looked back. There's a fellow up here in the NW that has a new Nameless exhaust on his 14 XT and he seems to like his as well. Good luck with your quest.
Did you or the 14 member get this installed at a local shop? Did they post a vid of the sound?

·
Registered
2014 forester XT touring CVT
1,660 Posts
i will be getting an exhaust soon, waiting to see what more comes out

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
Basically its all out already on the pre-existing wrx models. But yea there may be revamps, but most will just charge you more as a "new " product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts