Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Chevy Traverse LTZ
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty much a newbie - '05 FXT 5spd. I'm in sales and it's my daily driver. Last weekend was it's 1 yr birthday and I have 38,000 miles on it, so the warranty is up and I'm itching to make it quicker.

I live in Houston, TX so I guess my first question is - Does anyone know of any good tuners in Houston? I wish I lived in Orgegon, it seems like they're are 5 per sq. mile (wait a minute, no I don't wish I lived in Orgegon).

The car is bone stock; I changed the Geo Squealers at 30K for some Bridgestone Precepts (80K tire, that has a tad less grip but rides really nice and is quiet), and I run Royal Purple 10W 30 in it and Shell V-Power 93 on every fill up.

So what's my first step? Do I have some tune the ECU first, get a CAI, Up Pipe, Down Pipe, Exhaust? I'm lost.

I know the board has enough knowledge to easily answer the question - Also, I know this question gets asked about 6,000 times a day so I really do appreciate any input.

My goal (keep in mind I haven't done anything so I really don't have a great perspective of how realistic my goal is) would be to add about 75 to 100hp to the car. And finally if I change the exhaust and suspension I would want it to be somewhat close to stock in ride quality and in loudness of the exhaust.

Oh yeah - 1 mod that is coming up in the next week or two is a custom grill - I really like the member's custom grills that I've seen recently and I've been keeping my eye on EBay for a while and there was an auction for one that ended the on Wednesday night. I paid too much, but I got it...well I bought it, let's see if it shows up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well first off good luck with this project - it could be a lot of fun.

Now for the big question how much are you willing to spend and remember you will need money to mod, money for the unexpected things that will happen and then even more money for the things you will break with all that horsepower?

IMO - contact a good tuner, they may have a package where you can do a bunch of mods all at once which will include a reflash of your ecu among other things. Also do a lot of research at various web sites and see what they are offering. This should include:

COBB: http://cobbtuning.com/forester/
APS: http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us_spec/subaru/sti/2004_sti.htm
My tuner - XX TUNING: http://www.xxtuning.com/

And of course all of the great sites dedicated to subies and questions like:
NASIOC, Scoobymods http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/

Again good luck

Kevin

·
Registered
2004 FXT
48 Posts
I'm going to start "modding" my 2004 XT too. I was thinking about buying a new car but to be honest I can't think of a better car out there and I already have the XT paid for. So I'm not going to turn this thing into a street racer just wanna keep that smile on my face till my subie reaches 200K.
1.) Sirius-gotta have Howard
2.) Window tinting-AC in the summer can barely keep up.
3.) Springs, swaybars, tires.-Need some advice here. Gonna get the Cobb swaybars but don't know which springs and tires to get.
4.) Cobb stage 2-turbo-back and access port.
5.) K&N Cyclone intake
6.) Subie short throw shifter.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Hello hondoford, and welcome.

I'm no expert, but here's my opinion on it:

Personally, I think the power mod that gives you the best bang for the buck is ECU reflash: Ecutek/Access Port. It won't be a big jump in power as bigger turbo & fuel system upgrade, but you'd definitely feel it. Power delivery will be broader and more responsive over stock. While general mapping off the shelf is good, I prefer in-house tuning. It's just bit more, but you'd get the most out of it as each motor has its own personality.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
Engine Logics is a new shop and they are making an effort to do some Sub tuning. I go there for my dyno runs. No one does AP tuning in Houston as of right now. I use the off-the-shelf maps available from Cobb on my AP. It's OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts