Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2004 Forester new from the dealer in March of 04 and just recently turned 107,000 miles with no issues at all. I decided to follow the maintenance manual recommendations and I had the timing belt, idler pulleys, belt tensioner and the water pump and thermoastat replaced. The timing belt was recommended at 105,000 miles but I am a preventive maintenance person and since the area was opened up I had the water pump replaced also. I was told the timing belt was not that bad which gives me a good idea on how long I can go before having it replace again. I commute 57 miles to work each way so Im sure that wont take long. Only issue I have had with this car is the radio stops working when its really cold out and taping on the dash fixes it until the car hits a bump.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,954 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

On some scheduled maintenance items like the timing belt, it really doesn't pay to take the chance it won't fail. If it does fail, I'm sure a new engine will cost way more than the cost of replaced the timing belt. :icon_eek: As to the next schedules timing belt change, a bit over 200K miles. :wink:

BTW, if your radio gets too annoying, it's very easy to change out. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,137 Posts
I bought my 2004 Forester new from the dealer in March of 04 and just recently turned 107,000 miles with no issues at all.
Welcome to the forum. I bought my 2004 Forester new in November 2003 and it just passed 25,500 miles. Grad school clipped my wings for a few years.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
Welcome! Bought my '03 brand new in '04, got 120k hard miles on him now. And no worries about early maintenance, I did the big services at 95,000 miles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts