Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts,

Can anyone share his/her newbie guide for taking care of the forester?
I am a newbie and this is my first car ever and I really want to take care of my car.
I am looking for
1. Things to always keep in the car
2. Handy tools
3. Car cleaning guide/items you frequently use
4. Taking care of the car liquids.
5. Taking care of the tires & glasses

I have browsed youtube and some ppl demo to buy really costly items or have very complex methods.
I am looking to know from the daily user rather than a promoter on youtube.
Please add your inputs.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,137 Posts
Your first car is a 2019 forester?

If this is your first car, I would get familiar with how to change the spare wheel, if you even have one. (Many new cars sadly don't even come with one these days) You'll want to know where the tools and jack are and how to fix the jack to the car etc.
You'll want to keep a pair of work gloves in your car if you ever need to change a wheel at a minimum and a fluorescent/reflective waistcoat if you require one to change a wheel at the roadside (No idea how Canadian laws work)
Some people keep a breaker bar and an impact (black) socket of the wheel nut size in the back in case your wheel nuts are rusted/seized/done up too tight when you need to loosen them to make life easier than jumping up and down on the little wrench Subaru includes

Find someone to tell you how to read the oil dipstick and check it every 3 or 4 fuel fillups. I would check the air pressure in your tyres every couple of months, to get in a good habit/routine when the tyres are stone cold and not been driven for a few hours

Did you get a maintenance plan with your Forester?

You will want to google SnowFoam and 2 Bucket wash method when it comes to washing your car.
You could consider getting the car professionally detailed and having a ceramic paint protection coating applied or perhaps 3M clear coat applied to the body panels most likely to see abuse in regards to dirt, traffic film, snow/grit etc

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your first car is a 2019 forester?

If this is your first car, I would get familiar with how to change the spare wheel, if you even have one. (Many new cars sadly don't even come with one these days) You'll want to know where the tools and jack are and how to fix the jack to the car etc.
You'll want to keep a pair of work gloves in your car if you ever need to change a wheel at a minimum and a fluorescent/reflective waistcoat if you require one to change a wheel at the roadside (No idea how Canadian laws work)
Some people keep a breaker bar and an impact (black) socket of the wheel nut size in the back in case your wheel nuts are rusted/seized/done up too tight when you need to loosen them to make life easier than jumping up and down on the little wrench Subaru includes

Find someone to tell you how to read the oil dipstick and check it every 3 or 4 fuel fillups. I would check the air pressure in your tyres every couple of months, to get in a good habit/routine when the tyres are stone cold and not been driven for a few hours

Did you get a maintenance plan with your Forester?

You will want to google SnowFoam and 2 Bucket wash method when it comes to washing your car.
You could consider getting the car professionally detailed and having a ceramic paint protection coating applied or perhaps 3M clear coat applied to the body panels most likely to see abuse in regards to dirt, traffic film, snow/grit etc
Thanks @TXM for the tips.
Yes Forester 19 is my 1st car. I have the standard maintenance plan. I was looking for something related to home maintenance one should do or atleast keep an eye on. I will google based on your inputs.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,137 Posts
With a new car, I would just be keeping an eye on the oil level and not letting the fuel tank get too low and checking tyre pressures every so often.

If you start working on the car beyond simply topping up oil and coolant etc, I would wonder if the dealer would start using it as an excuse not to pay out on any future warranty claims as any work you do is being done by a non-Subaru certified/authorised etc person.

A new Forester really shouldn't need much doing beyond regular maintenance at the factory scheduled times and a wash now and then.

If you're looking for something to spend money on, a set of car mats and boot/trunk liner isn't a bad idea. I don't know what Subaru Canada offers these days but for the SG line, Subaru UK offered a hard plastic liner like this
http://imdomino.imgroup.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_Accessories.nsf/NULL/365BFC56F5E043F680256D59004D4602/$FILE/j511esa100.jpg (Can a Mod attach the image this links to please, I can't remember how to)

If you have no luck with your dealer, Weathertech do a decent set of mats/liners too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts