Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Olds intrigue Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, pardon any ignorant or out of place posting...I am considering our first Subaru.a Forester. As far as best price... what does anyone know of these several on line places that claim to be able to get you the best price and how does that work? Can you still get the vehicle through your chosen dealer or does that leave them out and out of favor with you when a problem or question comes up? Have more to follow up with later but hope I can get a little start with this post for now...thanks very much!

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Forester CVT
19 Posts
I just bought mine about $500 below invoice. You can use Costco as an initial excuse to get the negotiating (only if they participate) and then try to negotiate them down further. Just keep in mind that 99% of dealers WILL try to throw you "mandatory" add-ons. Just say no. And if they give you too much trouble, just walk out and go to the next dealer. I don't care how much they try to tell you that these cars are in high demand, you can always get it below invoice.

·
Registered
1999 Olds intrigue Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info.in regard to add ons, I'm never clear on exactly what a particular trim level includes as standard items and which additional items can be added and at what cost. What's the difference between the terms MSRP and "invoice" ? Is invoice the price you might negotiate down to plus tax, title , etc?

On another thread on this forum I was reading that people had gotten a price as much as 2-3 thousand under MSRP...is that or react ? You can find the thread as some thing like "what did you pay for your Subaru " or something like that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,934 Posts
edmunds.com

Welcome to the board from Pa.

·
Registered
2006 Ridgeline auto
6 Posts
Thanks for that info.in regard to add ons, I'm never clear on exactly what a particular trim level includes as standard items and which additional items can be added and at what cost. What's the difference between the terms MSRP and "invoice" ? Is invoice the price you might negotiate down to plus tax, title , etc?

On another thread on this forum I was reading that people had gotten a price as much as 2-3 thousand under MSRP...is that or react ? You can find the thread as some thing like "what did you pay for your Subaru " or something like that.
In basic terms, Invoice is the price you can expect the dealer paid for the vehicle. MSRP is obviously the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

These are the two basic monetary numbers you would want to know before attempting to buy a NEW vehicle if you plan to haggle and attempt a better deal. First, never pay MSRP. If you do then you probably just got screwed. Second, Invoice is not exactly what the dealer paid because of manufacture to dealer rebates or incentives to dealers that are not available to you. These actually allow dealers to purchase the vehicle below invoice. This is how you are able to buy a vehicle below invoice, if the dealer chooses to pass some of the savings along to the buyer. It is very difficult to figure out exactly how much a dealer will have in the vehicle but, that's not important. Just remember that they will typically never have more than invoice invested in the vehicle.

Edmunds.com is a good place to start to research with their TMV or True Market Value. This allows you to get an idea of what the invoice price, MSRP price, and an average price real buyers in your region are actually paying for a particular car. You can use the TMV to help negotiate a better price at time of purchase. Truecar.com is another useful site. They provide all the info as edmunds.com but take it a step further and allow you to actually purchase a vehicle at a discounted price. This might not be a bad way to purchase a vehicle if you don't like to haggle or are not experienced at purchasing a car. It allows you and the dealer to get a FAIR deal, which ultimately should be your end goal. Remember though, if Truecar.com doesn't have your preferred dealer listed just print out the coupon for the other dealer and bring it to your dealer and ask them to match it.

After you learn this I suggest you educate yourself on vehicle financing before you go to the dealer, you can get screwed even worse. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
After you learn this I suggest you educate yourself on vehicle financing before you go to the dealer, you can get screwed even worse. Good Luck!
^^This. I've recently heard of 10-year auto loans popping up... don't even fall for such absurdities. Never shop for a monthly payment over a total loan amount.

·
Registered
1999 Olds intrigue Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks much all for your input...signal 7....you gave me a great deal of helpful info. Difficult thing is that starting from Subaru brochure and list of included equipment per trim level, there still seems to be variations off what Edmunds shows and their list of available add ons...won't dwell on that but still leaves one confused. Talking with a sales rep might help or they might make it even more frustrating in not knowing the facts clearly either.
At least I now know exactly What is meant by invoice price and if you can get a price some below that, you're doing pretty good.

Changing subject a bit, does anyone know when they normally start releasing info on the next years model? For example, I talked with someone that ordered a 2014 early this year ( yes 2013) and got it I think in March or maybe a bit later. So they must have gotten info at end of 2012 or early 2013 in order to take delivery this spring....that would seem to indicate 2015 info should show up late this year or only next. Just thinking of options...may be able to get 0 financing at that time on remaining 2014 .

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6MT
23 Posts
Thanks much all for your input...signal 7....you gave me a great deal of helpful info. Difficult thing is that starting from Subaru brochure and list of included equipment per trim level, there still seems to be variations off what Edmunds shows and their list of available add ons...won't dwell on that but still leaves one confused. Talking with a sales rep might help or they might make it even more frustrating in not knowing the facts clearly either.
At least I now know exactly What is meant by invoice price and if you can get a price some below that, you're doing pretty good.

Changing subject a bit, does anyone know when they normally start releasing info on the next years model? For example, I talked with someone that ordered a 2014 early this year ( yes 2013) and got it I think in March or maybe a bit later. So they must have gotten info at end of 2012 or early 2013 in order to take delivery this spring....that would seem to indicate 2015 info should show up late this year or only next. Just thinking of options...may be able to get 0 financing at that time on remaining 2014 .
The 2014 Forester was a redesign and was released earlier than their normal new model year releases. Locally I have not seen any 2014 Crosstreks or Imprezas, but the dealer websites list them as in transit. The new models made here in the US are already at dealers, but also relatively recently. So the 2015 Foresters likely won't show up for about a year from now and by then it might still be hard to find 2014's...

·
Registered
1999 Olds intrigue Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MNsocks,

That info helps a lot....at least I know it would be pointless to be waiting about a 2015 Forester after your enlightening information....never had a dealer offer that fact about the early entry on the 2014 version. Guess I could then "order" one to my liking rather than take what is on the lot and the wait time wouldn't put me into a 2015 model year time frame which won't be appearing for around a full year from now...thanks much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts