Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I owe an '04 XT for about a month now. It is all stock. I just wanted to know if I need to do any mods? If yes, can somebody be kind enough to make a list according to priority? I'm not good with cars (mechanically) but willing to learn. I'm not a speed freak but a little boost may be good. It is a family car on some occasions. In fact, I take my toddler to the babysitter everyday. I'm on a budget, I just got hired recently after being unemployed for 3 years. I am looking at spending a little one at a time and only for really necessary things. I have no plans to lower because my purpose for the Forester is to be ready in all kinds of terrain. I live in the snowy midwest!

Thanks!

·
Registered
'15 Forester XT Super CVT
150 Posts
Just maintain it, drive it and enjoy it. It's plenty fast in stock form. A lot of people mod and mod and mod without realizing that by the time they've spent xx dollars they could've just got whatever fast car they wanted in the first place. I may be biased though because I have another car for going fast. To each his own of course. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi 4EAT
1,430 Posts
A catless up-pipe is a good start and pretty cheap. You will need one from an 04-07 STi.
Check around in the for sale forum here and on Nasioc.
Sway bars will do great things for the handling,again..used sti parts will work here.

How's the maintenance on the car? Timing belt/tensioners/water pump/pulleys already changed? This is critical for your car's longevity and for your piece of mind. Subaru suggests having it done at 105K

·
Registered
2009 2.5xt 6 Speed Swap version 8 6 speed sti trans with r180
4,150 Posts
A lot of people mod and mod and mod without realizing that by the time they've spent xx dollars they could've just got whatever fast car they wanted in the first place.
Aint that the truth, lol. I could have picked up a ligthly used Porche Cayman for what i've now spent. Of course when I bought the car I wasn't expecting to spend that much on it. The kicker was losing my rod bearings and having to drop 7k on a new (albeit built) motor. Without the blown motor price I could have at least gotten an STi for the same price.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5mt
296 Posts
I'd make sure everything stock is working 100% before starting any modding, especially since money is not a luxury.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
Stay away from power mods. I have paid for my car twice because of power mods gone wrong. Catless uppipe and removal of AVCS and turbo banjo bolt oil screens are the only things that are necessary on a bone stock XT.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Catless uppipe and removal of AVCS and turbo banjo bolt oil screens are the only things that are necessary on a bone stock XT.
This.

Everything else is a slippery slope. Take suspension upgrades, for example... if you upgrade to a thicker sway bar you put more stress on the endlinks (especially if you stay at stock height), and eventually they will break. Beef up the endlinks, and you've transferred the weakest point to the lateral link brackets. Now you'll need to either reinforce the brackets or upgrade to sturdier lateral links. The mounts are next in line. The point is, whatever you mod, there is always the need for the next mod to support the previous one. If you have money to blow and can afford downtime on the car, go for it... otherwise, resist the urge.

·
Registered
2014 Forrester Manual
43 Posts
I am not sure about the 04 model year but I think my first upgrade/mod on my 2014 is going to be a louder horn!

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Catless uppipe and removal of AVCS and turbo banjo bolt oil screens are the only things that are necessary on a bone stock XT.
How's the maintenance on the car? Timing belt/tensioners/water pump/pulleys already changed? This is critical for your car's longevity and for your piece of mind. Subaru suggests having it done at 105K
What they said.

Side question: Why get rid of the AVCS?

·
Registered
2008 X 5MT
459 Posts
Mudflaps
Hella Supertones horns

That's #1 priority :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
I would say the mods mentioned above like the catless uppipe and banjo bolt filter removal are probably the best places to start.

Otherwise I would suggest sticking to the mods that will only help increase the everyday usefulness of the car. Get yourself a good set of tires and brakes before considering any other performance upgrades. The right tire will completely change the driving characteristics, and a well performing set of brake components will keep you safe.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you everyone!

I will be researching about catless uppipe and banjo bolt filter removal...

Otherwise I would suggest sticking to the mods that will only help increase the everyday usefulness of the car. Get yourself a good set of tires and brakes before considering any other performance upgrades. The right tire will completely change the driving characteristics, and a well performing set of brake components will keep you safe.
I will be using my current tires until it dies but will definitely look into brake mods! What is a good brake mod just enough "to improve everyday usefullness"?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
I agree with the screen removals and brake upgrades (pads, hoses, brace).

Next look into convenience/comfort mods such as:

Add seat heaters (if you don't have them), add glove box light, make the map lights come on with the dome light, etc.

The convenience mods are usually cheap and will let you do more research into other mods you are considering and allow you to make a more informed decision on those future mods.

Sent from my phone, sorry for any typos or brevity

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
List so far are:
catless pipe
banjo bolt filter removal
brake upgrade
Stickers, because they add 50 ft/lbs of torque.

Question...
What will catless pipe and banjo bolt filter removal do? Are they legal especially with catless pipe in emissions testing in Illinois?

Been looking for threads on these, but there are sooooo many! Can somebody give me the best threads on these?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts