Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been rollin around on these forums for years now, made an account almost a year ago and finally decided to post and be social. I hail from Portland, Oregon and work as a mechanical engineer.

I've owned alot of Subarus but I got stuck on the early foresters. My 01 is just rolling past 324,000.

Btw, I started my first discussion here so please hop on over there and give me your advice!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,672 Posts
Welcome. At 324,000 you might have set the record. I think I'll start a thread about it here.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,919 Posts
Wow..welcome. How many head gaskets or timing belts with idlers, waterpump and tensioner?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a fantastic question. I bought the car for $200 at about 300,000 miles so I don't have a ton of info on it's previous life. I do know that it was originally a Hertz rental car, then the guy that bought it took very good car of the car before giving it to his son when it hit the 250,000 range. I bought it from his son who neglected it pretty bad. I'm about to do the head gaskets and all the accouterments in the next few weeks. Overall, the engine bay is surprisingly clean. Plus, it came with a brand new set of $600 tires :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,672 Posts
Head gaskets are a repair item, not scheduled maintenance. If they're good, they're good.

Timing belt (and everything it touches) is a critical piece of scheduled maintenance at 105k miles or `105 months. AKA long ago!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts