Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FXT Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello subie people!

First time subaru owner here. Picked up a one owner 2014 XT touring with 56k on it. I Needed a combination commuter/dad wagon/hooligan chariot that would fit my 6'7" 300lb mass and the forester fit the bill better than anything else anywhere near the price range.

I've always had either a German car (a couple of GTI's and a couple of 5 series BMW etc under my belt) or American muscle-y stuff (LSX, modern hemi etc) but the sound of a built wrx or sti has always made me smile. Alas, the forester will never sound thumpy like a Chinook helicopter (is that due solely to the centralized turbo placement?) But will still sound great pretty soon here.

This thing is bone stock and seems to have been babied, first few full throttle pulls burnt a lot of carbon out so I'm guessing I'll be media blasting or walnut shelling some valves out pretty soon. I commute pretty far at the moment (240 miles per work day) so my mod path will be pretty non invasive for awhile and focused on minor power increase and reliability. After a metric F ton of forum scouring, it looks like an AOS (can't delete EGR for CA smog reasons), tranny cooler, intake and exhaust with appropriate tune will be my only engine/tuning mods.

I bought this thing from a Ford dealer so I'm going to change the oil tomorrow as I spoke with the service dept at the Ford dealer and they use a random synthetic blend oil which, from what I've read, isn't going to help with carbon build up at all.

Anything else I should immidiately pay attention to or check out?

Thanks guys, gals and everything in between. Great forum here. Prost!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,778 Posts
Welcome. Yes oil change any 5W-30 syn. Eventually get the CVT OIL changed. The CVT is warranted for 100K miles. Also at around that time I plan on doing a walnut shell cleaning of intake valves.

Don't be afraid to run the thing.

·
Registered
2014 FXT Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome. Yes oil change any 5W-30 syn. Eventually get the CVT OIL changed. The CVT is warranted for 100K miles. Also at around that time I plan on doing a walnut shell cleaning of intake valves.

Don't be afraid to run the thing.
Thanks! I read on here somewhere about using Subaru oil only or one of those euro spec oils, it was an older post, is that still the case or has that opinion been changed? Going to 100k for a valve blasting is a relief, I had assumed they were probably caked already.

I also did not know the tranny was covered to 100k, that is great news! Was that due to a recall or were they covered that way off the lot?

Oh, I'll run it lol. I fully believe in responsible flogging on a regular basis. By responsible, I mean with proper maintenance and upkeep etc. Not responsible in the form of obeying posted speed limits or other "suggestions" regarding driving behavior. I can't wait to get this thing further away from stock. In stock form, It seems to draw looks from people who wear pocket protectors in conjunction with balance shoes who assume I purchased it based on my sense of practicality and value. I did not and I want the sound of my spent fuel and air exiting the rear to scream that incase anyone forgets. I jest, of course.....there's nothing wrong with new balance shoes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts