Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2017 - New Wheels, AT Tires and Chrome Delete!

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ShadeTreeSubie 
#1 · (Edited)
Over the last few months I've made a number of changes to our Foz. Mainly new rims and AT tires (Nokian Rotiiva AT 108T XL - 235/65r17's, 17" Black Rhino Boxers - Thanks to everyone here that has posted their experiences with AT tires).

I also deleted the chrome on the grill (wrapped), the fog light surrounds (wrapped), the rocker panel trim (wrapped) and the door window trim (Plasti-Dip; again, thanks to everyone who has shared their mods).

Lastly, I added wheel arch-guards, a roof rack (Yakima Off Grid Medium with shovel clamps and spare tire carrier) and the Snoopy decals.

I did have some wheel-rub when the tires were first installed but with a heat gun and a lot of patience I was able to stretch the wheel well liners to the point of having no rubbing ever (in forward, reverse or when turning/braking at full lock). I also swapped out the factory spare for a larger spare (155/90r17 and a portable compressor I store in the car).

The picture with the canyon in the background was taken at the Little Grand Canyon Overlook in the San Rafael Swell - Central Utah.

The next mod is heavier duty springs (King? RalliTek?) to fix the saggy bum when fully loaded with camping gear. I'm still considering a lift kit (would do when I add the springs). The springs will likely add 0.25-0.50" and the AT tires have added roughly 0.65" (27.7"-29.0") so not sure that I want to add much more height (1-1.5" at most).

As I said earlier, my sincere thanks to everyone who has posted their mods. I learned a lot from you, had some fun and feel like I've made better decision on my own mods because of the experiences shared here by other members.:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

The rack is interesting in that with the crossbars in place, the available space is reduced (the cross bars can be used to mount additional racks such as ski or bike racks) but with the bar (or bars) removed there is more room than in a similarly sized rack. I like the flexibility but I have wondered if I will eventually purchase the 18" extension. Also, the attachment to the base crossbars is rock solid and the rack is substantial enough to hold my full-sized spare without any concerns.

#4 ·
Over the last few months I've made a number of changes to our Foz. Mainly new rims and AT tires (Nokian Rotiiva AT 108T XL - 235/65r17's, 17" Black Rhino Boxers - Thanks to everyone here that has posted their experiences with AT tires).

I also deleted the chrome on the grill (wrapped), the fog light surrounds (wrapped), the rocker panel trim (wrapped) and the door window trim (Plasti-Dip; again, thanks to everyone who has shared their mods).

Lastly, I added wheel arch-guards, a roof rack (Yakima Off Grid Medium with shovel clamps and spare tire carrier) and the Snoopy decals.

I did have some wheel-rub when the tires were first installed but with a heat gun and a lot of patience I was able to stretch the wheel well liners to the point of having no rubbing ever (in forward, reverse or when turning/braking at full lock). I also swapped out the factory spare for a larger spare (155/90r17 and a portable compressor I store in the car).

The picture with the canyon in the background was taken at the Little Grand Canyon Overlook in the San Rafael Swell - Central Utah.

The next mod is heavier duty springs (King? RalliTek?) to fix the saggy bum when fully loaded with camping gear. I'm still considering a lift kit (would do when I add the springs). The springs will likely add 0.25-0.50" and the AT tires have added roughly 0.65" (27.7"-29.0") so not sure that I want to add much more height (1-1.5" at most).

As I said earlier, my sincere thanks to everyone who has posted their mods. I learned a lot from you, had some fun and feel like I've made better decision on my own mods because of the experiences shared here by other members.👍
How are you liking the Nokians? I can't find much on the forums about them, but they look like a decently rugged set of tires without all the weight of the BFGs...not sure if that's a good thing :)
Looks like you did a lot of modifications, but did you notice any dip in MPGs that you could attribute to the tires?

#6 ·
Sorry for the delayed response. Love the Nokians. Great mix of attributes for how I use the car - quiet, no noticeable drop in mileage (it's an XT and I'm enjoying it so mileage was never great), great in snow and handle very well year round on highway. Not great ratings for rain but I live in the desert. The BFG's just seemed like way too much weight for my use. Nokians have a pretty stout sidewall.
The springs and tires lift the car about 1.5" - everyone thinks I added a lift kit. Was considering it but probably leaning away from a lift now.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.