Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on YouTube yesterday. A good comparison of SuperTech full synthetic 5W-30 vs RedLine oil. I've been using SuperTech for a couple years now and I have been very pleased with it. Its a good quality oil at a low price.

https://youtu.be/zwqt5vI0o1A

StanF.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As long as the oil you are using meets the API standards for the car you drive you are fine. I use the wallyworld oil myself unless there is a name brand sale or rebate which often brings the price differential to less than a dollar and sometimes even cheaper. I know there are some (many?) who only use oil blended by elves in an ancient castle using a secret formula (Amsoil!), but no one has demonstrated that it makes any difference, except the exotic blenders themselves.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Automatic
495 Posts
To me the much larger debate currently is what to make of the extended interval claims by Mobil and others. If I could truly change the oil safely every 15k miles, instead of say 7500, then even at double the cost, i'd do it in a heart beat, given the reduction in time, hassle and environmental waste.

If you are following the original OCI for an older NA subie, say every 3k, then pretty much anything over crushed banana peels should work and wallyworld juice should be quite acceptable......

Personally, I am using Mobile HighMileage 5w30 for my '05 NA 2.5. I don't think I am gaining anything, but hope springs eternal that the better additive pack will bust loose a stuck oil ring eventually, resulting in less oil consumption... Dreams.....

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
418 Posts
It's a great oil at an also great price!

I have a pretty big stockpile of name brand oil that I've bought for <2/QT over the years, but I will probably start stocking up on this before the price goes too high.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
69 Posts
I was required to do maintenance (for the first time) on my company car back in December (took a buyout, still had the car for a couple months). It required synthetic, so I bought the Supertech (oil and filter), and did in myself to save a lot of $$$.
I do admit that using Walmart house brand oil for my new '19 Forester is something I likely won't be able to get my head around - but it's probably irrational!

For the real cost-cutters - I had a coworker when I first started as an Engineer at GM who would take the used oil from other people and reuse it in his vehicle! Now there is a dedicated saver for you! I wonder if he strained it using old nylons?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@vtdog - I agree 100%. I believe it was Blackstone labs that issued a report and said that there was basically very little difference between oils as long as the oil met the standards for the API grade. SuperTech oil meets the SN and GL5 specs, and is Dexos Gen 2 certified. That's good enough for my Foz!

@cdherman - I don't think I could ever agree to a 15K or 20K OCI as claimed by some manufacturers today. Just wouldn't feel comfortable with it. As far as that goes, my OCD won't let me go beyond the 6K that is shown in my owners manual, even though I could probably rationalize a 7.5K OCI with full synthetic oil. The only issue on which I am willing to deviate from the owners manual is the oil weight. I stopped using 0W-20 a few years ago during the summer months, and ran 5W-30 instead. Now, I run 5W-30 all year long, including the winter months. The engine seems to run more quiet and smooth with the 5W-30. I don't think I will ever go back to the 0W-20.

StanF.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,342 Posts
@ StanF - Any reason why you chose 5W30 and not 0W30 ?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ StanF - Any reason why you chose 5W30 and not 0W30 ?
Two reasons why I chose to go with 5W-30 over 0W-30:

1 - There is very little difference between the "5W" and "0W" weights. Both of my other cars recommend 5W30 all year long, so I'm confident that the 5W-30 is fine for the winter temps here in NJ. I think it is @adc; that has quite a few posts on here about the topic of oil viscosity, and I consider him to be something of a subject matter expert. Well worth researching if you are interested in detailed info.

2 - The SuperTech oil is not available in the 0W-30!

StanF.

p.s. sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier. If you use the "quote" or "mention" function I would see a notification on my user panel.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
Project Farm offers interesting videos. For the oil tests he replicates two of the many ASTM tests for engine oil.

Frankly, if changed often enough, all oils are fine. The issue one must consider is when engines are subject to what is called in owners manuals "severe duty." The type of service that cuts in half the service life of engine oil.

Those choosing to go with the old 3,000 mile oil change can pretty well use any qualifying oil.

I change the oil in my 375,000 mile engine every 10,000 miles. An engine that is always driven in a "severe duty" manner. I check the oil level when I change it and again right before I empty the crankcase for the next oil change. Never has there been a level change.

Blenders, like Warren in Omaha, select from off the shelf engine oil components purchased from the majors who make the components and additives. Even the majors purchase components and additives from other makers when blending their own engine oils. Shell is now offering a Group 3+ oil refined from middle east natural gas, then packaged under a number of names.

My preference is for Group 4 oils.

Because of lawsuits in the US, oils may be considered "full synthetic" even if they are further refined Group 3 oils. Not so in Europe.

Again, I appreciate the recreation of the two ASTM tests on the Project Farm videos. I also appreciate it when I get my hands on the other ASTM test results, like I have.

·
Registered
2017 Touring CVT
126 Posts
For the real cost-cutters - I had a coworker when I first started as an Engineer at GM who would take the used oil from other people and reuse it in his vehicle! Now there is a dedicated saver for you! I wonder if he strained it using old nylons?
Wow; brings back memories. While in college I had an old Ford sedan that I didn't think had any rings at all with all the oil it burned. I used to buy 2.5 gal. cans of re-refined used oil at a discount store and added a quart every day for a 40-mi. commute. At the same time a friend used "drippings" that a local service station collected by inverting the metal quart oil cans after adding oil to a customer's car to drain the small amounts remaining. I used to joke that he was getting 5w60.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
475 Posts
The engine seems to run more quiet and smooth with the 5W-30. I don't think I will ever go back to the 0W-20.
I have learned that it is important to provide the operating temperature viscosity the engine designers intended. Often people choose another viscosity only to find after many miles that it harmed the engine. Higher operating temperature viscosity denies bearings the appropriate lubrication and act as a drag on the engine, reducing performance.

The zero weight is the same as water, making for faster startup lubrication. Cold startup is where much of the engine wear occurs. A time when the initial lubrication is from the thin film of oil remaining after the rest drains back into the crankcase. I always choose 0w and the cold weight for every vehicle.

Below is a sample of the range of ASTM tests used to compare engine oil performance. All names were removed because of some forum members sensitivities.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have learned that it is important to provide the operating temperature viscosity the engine designers intended.
I think this is the key point. The FB25 was designed to run on 5W-30 and 5W-40 oil. It is only here in the US that the owners manual recommends using 0W-20. If you look at the Subaru.jp website, they recommend 5W-30 for all Subaru cars and especially for "those who feel uneasy about the use of 0W-20".

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/lineup/standard03.html

I qualify as someone who is "uneasy about the use of 0W-20". I notice a significant improvement in the reduction of noise and vibration with 5W-30.

If you look at the 0W-20 oil page, it is for "Focus on fuel consumption- High environmental awareness".

https://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/lineup/standard01.html

Please don't get me wrong... I'm all for fuel efficiency and protecting the environment!! But, my primary concern when it comes to motor oil is engine longevity and protection.

StanF.

p.s. I translated the pages in my Chrome browser. You may need to translate them also.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Manual
418 Posts
This engine makes me "uncomfortable" to use 0w-20. My last car didn't; that car seemed to love it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
3 Posts
StanF,

NJ guy here, as well. Just got my first Subi. 15 Forester 2.5i Prem. This vehicle has likely seen 0W-20 the entire 85K miles of it's life.

Do you notice a difference in engine noise when you switched to 5W-30?

Any idea on the fuel difference after the change over to 5W-30?

Thanks,

Jimothy

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@JimDandy1

I noticed an immediate improvement in the engine noise when I switched over to 5W-30. It was quite noticeable.

As for the gas mileage, I didn't notice any difference. My MPG's are much more affected by the red lights and starting / stopping during my usual commute. With 5W-30, I can get 30 - 33+ mpg if I drive normal, with no traffic, and catch all the green lights. If I hit a lot of slow traffic and red lights, my mileage can be 27 - 30 mpg. Keep in mind that I am a very conservative driver.

StanF

1 - 16 of 16 Posts