Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get a 1999 Forester and was wondering if anybody could help me out with a few questions. I am new to towing and I have already learned some things just by reading through other threads here. My wife loves to go camping and we have talked about a small pop-up or maybe a Tear Drop Camper in the past. Is that kind of thing possible with a 1999 Forester? I am trying to make heads or tails of it but all the terms have got me a bit confused. Right now I am trying to figure out GVWR and all the other information I can.

The Forester I am getting is in great shape and the guy is willing to throw on the tow package from another Forester but don't know if I should just go with a after market instead. He also has a 2000 Outback that I really like but my wife since to be in love with the Forester. I think she wants it for herself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am very glad to have found this site. So much useful information in one place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Towing capacity

I regularly tow a motorcycle/trailer combo with our 2005 FXSLLB and I have the Subaru towbar installed.
With all the goodies on it, the trailer/bike weighs around 1100lbs and the Foz tows it just fine. You can tow up to 2000lbs but they recommend trailer brakes for anything over 1200lbs. I run Mobil1 5w40 synthetic in the motor, Mobil1 75w90 in the diffs but regular Castrol Import in the tranny. I replace the tranny fluid at every 6k oil change, using the drain and refill the pan method. This replaces about 40 percent of the tranny fluid at each change.
Never experienced any overheating or other issues at all:icon_cool:

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
This info might help:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f137/99-forester-towing-setup-capacity-hitch-wiring-harness-etc-12386/&sa=U&ei=9m3cS-mEE4O88gbS5rTwBw&ct=res&ved=0CBAQFjAB&cd=2&usg=AFQjCNEs2s4oveSuXxX0i9fSteZs716avw

Towing equipment source

Note that the tow / weight rating numbers for the vehicle, the receiver, the drawbar (ball mount), and tow ball may all be different. Therefore, the actual tow rating will be the lowest number out of the bunch.

Will your trailer(s) have electric brakes? If so, you'll also need a brake controller and appropriate connections and wiring between your car and the trailer.

Ford Tow Guides offer a wealth of useful info. Most is Ford product specific, but there's a lot of very good general use info available as well, especially pages 26-32.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
1999 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to everybody for sharing information and helping a idiot out lol. Sorry I was not able to respond before now. Recently had to have a little operation so was kind of out of it. I am going on Monday to pick up the Forester. I went with it in the end because I just like the feel of it behind the wheel.

I have looked around and see that there are more kinds of little trailer options for camping then I ever dreamed. Since its just me and my wife we don't need anything big of extravagant. She is in love with the Forester and I am afraid she will be "borrowing" it often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts