Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after bad mouthing Subaru for years I ran into a little Forester S Turbo couldn’t afford not to purchase.
Clean body, motor in the back and a good price was all I needed to convince me that it was time to go to the dark side.

After all the so-called experts telling me to stay away from JDM imports and rather handing my inheritance over to them for a old motor I did what I normally doo.
Ignore all advice and after a short investigation I found a JDM WRX motor with a four into two into one header and TD05 with the 90deg inlet. Yes it is an old motor. But I basically paid what the header would have cost for the motor.
I had to change the inlet manifold which resulted in changing the Heads as well.
Only down side is that I couldn’t use the WRX cams (they do not fit in the Forester heads).

Rushed to complete the motor seeing that I had a 4000km trip planed and decided that the Forester will be ideal for the trip.

The motor is perfect started almost immediately.

We are struggling with spluttering at 2500rpm and above 5000rpm to such an extend that it will not go past 5000.
Well I did the trip like that and the car really impressed me.
After 320 000km the suspension is still brilliant even the self leveling rear suspension still works properly.

She pulls brilliantly as long as I stay below 5000 and when she is hot the stutter at 2500 disappears completely.

Average fuel consumption for the trip was 7.5km\l which I am happy with especially considering that I did the last 1300km in 12 hours including 4 stops of which the last was long enough to get coffee and burgers and eating them before continuing.

2600km of the trip was with 4 adult’s two kids and heavily loaded trailer.

Now I am struggling to get the inconvenient stutters sorted out it was fitted with a pirate MAF nut I ordered a OE item and should have it later today.
Hopefully that will be the solution.

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i had two Mitsu's and still have two Alfa GTV's a 3.2 and a highly modified 3.0Turbo.
The Fizzie's growing on me :)

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome.
My Scooby is sorted the pesky splutter is gone.:biggrin:
I attached picks of her and my two GRV’s :icon_redface:

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to the rear engine I got her for a extremely nice price.:cool:
The previous owner overheated her to such a extend that the knock sensor on the block melted.
Now she is running with a JDM WRX bottom 2 mm head gaskets, S turbo heads, nice four into two into one header and TD05 turbo.
I didn’t feel like taking a chance with the 320 000km overheated motor.
Only regret is that the JDM cams don’t fit in the S turbo heads they have much more lift and it seems like more duration as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts