Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have been a Subaru owner for almost a full decade. Reddy has had a very busy life transporting my family and I all over the U.S. We have lived in Puerto Rico, Hawaii, San Diego and now Cape Cod with her. She has made two cross country trips and has visited most of the great states of this country. Yes she's getting old, but she's still a work horse.....just needs a little TLC these days. She has been with us for the birth of both of my children and the death of my dog and cat. She has been a daily driver for work and a beloved recreation/surf mobile. She has helped us move. She will always be a part of our life!

Here's to a few more years with my Reddy!!!!

1st Pic: Driving through Illinois on our way to Cape Cod

2nd: Brand Spanking New in Isabela, Puerto Rico

3rd: With the kids in the Colorado Rocky Mountains

4th: My daughter helping me wash the red dirt off in hawaii

5th: Reddy chilling at Pacific Beach in San Diego

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subaru, the official car of New England!
That's funny, I must have seen about a dozen or so today in Falmouth cruising in the snow. Reminded me of birds circling a fresh kill..sort of.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Very nice looking red Forester! Thanks for posting pictures! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Welcome to the group.. From another 01 owner.. Great story.. Love the red.. You do know that after all those travels you will have to keep it forever.. grin..

Like yours our 01 is taking more care but we are happy with it..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I thought I might have had to put my girl down (trade her in) because of a bad prognosis of her head gasket (on top of several other small but costly repairs needed), but after doing several tests on her today, the mechanic reported no leakage of antifreeze into the engine, or oil into the coolant. Compression is normal and no oil leakage. This is great news as I hope to get another few good years out of her. I will be having the the Rack and Pinion replaced plus changing the tires, but other than that, she will be fine!!!

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Our 99 forester was in very used shape. Leaking headgaskets (Oil only) and lots of other stuff.. But is was a salvage car I picked up and worked on so really had little money in it and tons of use..

One day we came across the 01 we now have.. Good price.. I talked to the owner and she said up front, it was dealer serviced and last service she was told it had a front seal leak and headgasket oil leak and told her it needed fixing now for $2200 US.. So she bought a new Honda and wanted to sale this one cheap.. I dropped the engine cover and looked it over.. No question there was a small front seal leak.. But having a subaru with a real oil leak on the headgasket the one on hers did not look right.. Oil was not coming from the right place.. So Because the complete car was far better than ours, Garage kept and lots fewer miles we bought it..I already was going to do a headgasket job any way so no big deal..

After getting it home I started to do a complete service and found some one had installed a valve cover and folded the gasket so it was the oil leak.. So it did not have a headgasket leak just a valve cover leak.. The oil seal leak was minor and has not got much worse in the last year. Now we are just a few miles from a timing belt any way so will do it all soon..

Point is when someone tells you you need major stuff done to the car.. Take it some place else for a check (keep your mouth shut about it)and see if they think the same.. Often they see things different. You still may end up doing the work but will feel it needed done.. As far as your car.. You did good to have it checked over and not just take it in and tell them to do the work.. But liking our 01 as much as we do.. Odds are I would just do the major work.. No were near the cost of a new car.. But we both like our 01 far more than our 09..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2001 Forester
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Point is when someone tells you you need major stuff done to the car.. Take it some place else for a check (keep your mouth shut about it)and see if they think the same..
Exactly!!!! My gut was not feeling right when I went to the first mechanic with a fuel hose leak (which eventually was fixed by only tightening a clamp)that should have only cost a few bucks and finished in no time, to the mechanic calling me to tell me I needed over $3000 worth of work.

I immediately told him to hold off on any work and write me up a written estimate. I asked around work to see if any of the mechanics knew of a reliable mechanic and that's where it was confirmed that a head gasket change is not needed.

I am so relieved as I really want to keep my 2001 for another 3 1/2 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts