Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Selling my VW and "inheriting" my mom's 03 Forester. I love the thing so I am every excited. Plan on keeping it pretty stock as I am broke at the moment. It's an XS btw

I DO, however, plan on getting it very dirty soon. :biggrin:

I have spent a few days on the forums, the car has 106k on it, can anyone point/alert me to the major repairs or replacements that are due around this time as preventative maintenance?

Also, there has been a weird grinding issue which sounds like the front passenger side wheel bearing, but the shops can't pinpoint it exactly. It has been persistent for several months, and hasn't got any better or worse. Doesn't sound all that noticeable to be honest. any experience with this or help as to where to search? Thanks...

Sirius

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,707 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Your timing belt & associated parts were due to be changed at 105K miles. If this wasn't done, this one service you don't want to put off. :wink

I inherited my '03 X Forester from my dad when it had around 4K miles on it. It's has a bit over 28K miles now & has had some MODding done to it. I passed it to my son last summer. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2003 Forester
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Your timing belt & associated parts were due to be changed at 105K miles. If this wasn't done, this one service you don't want to put off. :wink

I inherited my '03 X Forester from my dad when it had around 4K miles on it. It's has a bit over 28K miles now & has had some MODding done to it. I passed it to my son last summer. :smile:

Bobby...
associated parts AKA water pump, timing belt? I've also read about Idlers

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,707 Posts
associated parts AKA water pump, timing belt? I've also read about Idlers
The 105K service is expensive, so taking care of other items while doing the timing belt can save you money in the long run. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
01 Forester S
129 Posts
Welcome. I got an 01 S with 110,000. I had my r/r wheel bearing go. Kept driving it until the noise got really bad.
When I had my timing belt done at the end of last year it was very expensive. I had all the stuff replaced while they had it apart.

Radiator broke several months ago. Both O2 sensors had to be replaced, ignition module broke,

I am at around 60,000+ miles now since I last replaced my spark plugs. I'd like to try to do it myself but I've never tried it since I last had a 76 chevy nova with a strait 6 engine. that was easy.

But I know if I break something it would have been cheaper to just pay the shop in the first place.

I gotta buy new yokohama tires for it in the next month when I take the snows off.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,778 Posts
The 105K service is expensive, so taking care of other items while doing the timing belt can save you money in the long run.
And it’s more than just the savings of having a job done while the engine is already opened up. Some of the 'optional' items associated with the timing belt job (like the water pump) can fail in a way theat they break the timing belt, which in turn breaks the engine. So it's best to replace them before they even think about failing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.