Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 99 Forester S last week to replace my POS 4Runner. First subaru I've ever owned! All good until yesterday when I came off the highway and the oil light started flickering at idle. Luckily I live about 1/2 a mile from the exit. It has plenty of oil in it and it doesn't burn much (if any). The car was definitely making a racket so I'm fairly sure its not low-pressure-switch related. Before yesterday it ran great- it was a little noisy but not alarmingly so (think slightly loose valve clearance kind of tappy)

According to my research there are 2 Subaru specific things that can cause this issue:
-Cracked oil feed tube
-Screws backing out of the oil pump or failing pump

-Or it could be really worn main bearings (I really hope its not this one):evilatyou:

What I'm wondering is where to start with diagnosis. Is there a way to tell if my issue is stemming from a certain area? I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but I'd rather not drop the motor to tear the thing all apart if I don't have to.

Thanks

·
Registered
1989 Turbo II 5spd TII
62 Posts
I think the light comes on at 2psi of oil pressure or less.

If by oil feed you mean where you fill the engine up with oil, then no, i dont think thatll cause any effect on oil pressure since from there it travels through the valve cover then through the head then to the oil pan.

If by oil feed you mean the pick up tube, then yes, that could be a problem. It can be cracked, the o ring can be bad or clogged.

If after pulling the oil pan and checking the pick up tube and it not being bad, then your pump is no good.

Also, if you pull the pan, youll need a couple of new orings before you install the pan.

If it is the pump. I have a good one that i can get rid of.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S auto
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the light comes on at 2psi of oil pressure or less.

If by oil feed you mean where you fill the engine up with oil, then no, i dont think thatll cause any effect on oil pressure since from there it travels through the valve cover then through the head then to the oil pan.

If by oil feed you mean the pick up tube, then yes, that could be a problem. It can be cracked, the o ring can be bad or clogged.

If after pulling the oil pan and checking the pick up tube and it not being bad, then your pump is no good.

Also, if you pull the pan, youll need a couple of new orings before you install the pan.

If it is the pump. I have a good one that i can get rid of.
thanks for your response! I ended up changing the oil and filter and found some RTV-like stuff in the filter which leads me to believe the guy who did the previous work on it was overzealous with the make-a-gasket (and a real shade tree mechanic!). anyway, I checked the oil pressure after the oil change and it was all good until friday on the way to go snowboarding. Heard a tap tap tap over the radio about 5 miles from the hill; screw it we're almost there I said. by the time we got there it was a full on KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Blue smoke pouring from the exhaust; lots of sparklies in the oil. Time for a new motor :icon_cry: I've only had the car 2 weeks.

Can anyone tell me if the JDM EJ20 (sohc) will drop in if I keep the forester intake manifold and sensors? There are quite a few of them on ebay with less miles and cheaper prices than I can find locally. I don't mind the smaller motor- I'm not going to be towing or racing the car in any way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts