Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, just purchased a 2010 forester on friday march 26th. so far so good. hope the gas mileage gets better as it breaks in. i got the base model with automatic trans. black on black. never owned a subaru before. had mostly gm products my whole life. had enough of them. the only thing i'm not to keen about is the zero clearance motor. do most of you use the dealer for timing belt replacement or a good independent shop? i have been a body man my whole life but know a little about motors, enough that i won't try to replace the belt myself. i drive 30,000 miles a year. thanks, "dw"

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
Congratulations. The gas mileage will improve as the engine breaks in. I think people go both ways as far as who replaces the timing belt. If you have a good mechanic, ask him or her if they have experience with Subarus. You've got at least three years before you need to worry about replacing it though.
Happy motoring!
David

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
If you can find an independant shop you'd trust, then there's no reason not to get it done there. Personally I don't have any really decent independant shops, at least when it comes to Subaru's. I'll be using a dealership when I need mine replaced.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,498 Posts
Welcome from Pa. If you are really careful you can get 26 mpg in Suburban driving and 30+ on Highway if you stay under 70. If you drive it hard mileage is terrible.

Must engines are "Interference" these days. They have to be to get higher power/efficiency. Best to go to a dealer or someone really familiar with the Subaru engine for the belts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
702 Posts
Congrats and welcome from central MA. Best not to obsess over the gas mileage for a while...after the engine is broken in, your subie will find its own range. Its AWD, so it will never get the mileage my wife's Corolla gets. Will depend a lot on how you drive it, as adc points out. BTW, you picked out a nice color. Black Foresters do look sharp..
Steve
09 2.5X AT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts