1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 rx
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

greetings from stormy NC

I am a recent convert to Subaru and now I am thinking about ditching my current support rig (A 2003 Saturn LW200) for a first gen Forester. my current Suby is a 1988 RX turbo yes I do race it and it does rather well. I plan to keep this car for a long time. I will post photos as soon as I am allowed.

·
Registered
1988 rx
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my family has a bit of a Subaru history. My parents and younger brother have Subarus too (parents have an 01 Forester S premium, younger brother has a 86 gl hatch and a 98 LGT) I fell in love with the Forester when I had loan of my parents car for a week. It was smooth, powerful and managed to eek out 30mpg despite having an automatic. I am coming to the conclusion that I need an all Subaru team. I autocross the RX and use the Saturn to bring the race tires to the track

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
HI Boxer,are you on the CCSC forum? I am on there, heilig lawn care. getting my first Fozzie tomorrow. I did like seeing what you posted about the 30 MPG.

I am getting a 2001 S, I can't wait. who knows I might be able to make one of the CCSC meets sometime now.

post pics of your parents Fozzie when ya can.

what kind of service have they gotten out of theirs? what milage, mine has 126,333 miles on it.
welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1988 rx
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am on CCSC as Philip1. Congrats on the Fozzie. It really didn't take much to hit 30 mpg all I did was make sure the tires were aired up and hit the freeway but I didn't speed. these cars seem to do best right around 60-65 and light throttle. don't use cruise and don't bother trying to maintain speed going up hill. thats how I did it. basically drive like Grandma on a Sunday afternoon.

My parents 01 has recently crossed 200k they did have to replace head gaskets once but I hear thats fairly normal on the 2.5 and if you use the STI gasket your good till the car falls apart. other than that they have had zero issues with the car.

·
Registered
2001 Forester "S" 4EAT
315 Posts
I am on CCSC as Philip1. Congrats on the Fozzie. It really didn't take much to hit 30 mpg all I did was make sure the tires were aired up and hit the freeway but I didn't speed. these cars seem to do best right around 60-65 and light throttle. don't use cruise and don't bother trying to maintain speed going up hill. thats how I did it. basically drive like Grandma on a Sunday afternoon.

My parents 01 has recently crossed 200k they did have to replace head gaskets once but I hear thats fairly normal on the 2.5 and if you use the STI gasket your good till the car falls apart. other than that they have had zero issues with the car.
yes I have seen your name on CCSC, cool to see you on here now.

the reports I hear on the sites and talking to owners makes me feel pretty good about buying one of these, sadly this will be the newest and most expensive cars I will have owned so far.

But I think it is going to do everything I need it to do. I am on my 4th Subaru now. I love these cars.

I mean my legacy is so easy to work on I had to do the head gasket on it, pulled the engine out in one evening, got the parts and had it back together the next day.

I even fly behind the engines in experimental gyroplanes,they are hard to kill.
in a gyro we use a prop reduction drive and turn these engine at 4,300-5,000 r.p.m. continuous.

I can't wait to get my Fozzie today. I have never even ridden in a Fozzie or test driven one yet. I am sure I won't be disappointed. will post some pics of it once I get it home.

Tim aka Animal sleazy biker/pilot and very soon to be Fozzie owner.. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts