Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 1998 forester with 150k on the clock, picked it up real cheap so I expected it to have some issues. Everything is great except one thing, I believe I have what you guy refer to as torque binding. Any time I turn tight and accelerate and the car shutters. I does seem exactly like other people describe as the center diff not unlocking and the front and rear tires are trying to spin at different speeds but the car is not allowing it.

So now my question is, how can this be fixed? I have done some research and I have read about some people talking about a solenoid in the trans, also something about a fuse you can plug in to make it just front wheel drive, also some people said just changing the trans and diff fluids can fix it as well.

If these are some liable solutions can someone please elaborate on it for me? b/c I am pretty confused on what fuse and solenoid has control over this.

I have looked up how to flush the trans fluid and diff fluid and I am in the process of doing it now. Hoping maybe it will fix the issue, but either way it needs to be done bc I have no idea when the last time it was changed.

Also, is there any other maintenance I should look into besides looking at the timing belt? I can't really think of anything else I haven't done already.

Any info will help, thanks guys.

·
Registered
14 outback auto
342 Posts
The fuse to disable the 4 wheel drive is located under the hood on the passinger side near the firewall. It's right on top and easy to see. Put a 15 a fuse in. A light on the panel will light and your torque bind should disappear. If the "shuttering" disappears, then you have torque bind. Filling and replacing the transmission fluid 3 times may fix it, but it didn't help in my case.

·
Registered
98 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuse to disable the 4 wheel drive is located under the hood on the passinger side near the firewall. It's right on top and easy to see. Put a 15 a fuse in. A light on the panel will light and your torque bind should disappear. If the "shuttering" disappears, then you have torque bind. Filling and replacing the transmission fluid 3 times may fix it, but it didn't help in my case.
After just draining and refilling once the problem got substantially better almost gone. After the second flush it was gone. I am glad it was such an easy fix. I plan on flushing a third time and changing the filter.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,698 Posts
After just draining and refilling once the problem got substantially better almost gone. After the second flush it was gone. I am glad it was such an easy fix. I plan on flushing a third time and changing the filter.
Make sure you replace the filter with a genuine Subaru one. They are conceptually different than after market ones. They filter only 5% (strictly a guess) of the oil on every pass and thus the pressures and flows in the system are higher.

Also it might be a good time to do the rear diff and the center diff.

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,215 Posts
Also, is there any other maintenance I should look into besides looking at the timing belt? I can't really think of anything else I haven't done already.

Any info will help, thanks guys.
Replace PCV.

If original, replace A/F O2 sensor.

Replace power steering fluid.

Clean MAF.

Remove Fuel Filler Pipe shroud and check for rot.

Flush brake lines.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
98 Forester Auto
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replace PCV.

If original, replace A/F O2 sensor.

Replace power steering fluid.

Clean MAF.

Remove Fuel Filler Pipe shroud and check for rot.

Flush brake lines.
Thanks a lot for the info I will do all of that.

The check engine light is on, had it checked at autozone and its and issue with the EGR valve. What should I do to fix that? I am pretty sure that its hurting my fuel mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts