Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mineral Gray Forester Limited 2.5i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am a proud owner of my new 2018 forester limited (owned a 2001 VDC obi previously), for those of you that own/owned this model, can anyone suggest some good bang for the buck options for yellow LED fog lights, underbody protection, rokblocks or rallyarmour mudflaps, and any other quality of life mods that I may run into during my ownership?

Thanks!

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
You can do A LOT with the SJ Forester - from lift kits to lowering kits to tires and wheels to whatever... it all depends on what you want to do with it...

Soft-roader/overlander? Then you want to start with skid plates (I've got Primitive Racing triple armor on my 2014 Limited). Decent all terrain tires will help you get to places you want to go... some will be more off-road and some more on-road... I've got Continental TerrainContact ATs on mine - a good blend for off road ability and still maintain on road comfort. Lights, light bars, roof basket or storage, etc., can make you able to make the most of going out there...

Road racer? Then go with lowering springs or coil-overs to drop the ride... change out tires and wheels.

A couple of companies make plug-n-play fog light kits to swap out the stock units. You can also get some yellow film (Laminex) to cover the stock lenses with yellow coating to change the color and the shade of light. You can also buy aftermarket LED bulbs (some cheap and junky, some expensive and cool and some affordable and pretty good) that can change the tone of the light, too. Same for headlights.

If you have the stock/OEM splash guards, you've got a good start. You can remove those and do Rockblocks or one of the other brands too. most of them are designed ot stick out a bit further so they can look ... well, looks are subjective. But they can provide more protection to the side for rocks and such kicked up by those all terrain tires.

Wheels can be swapped out - you can go up or down in size (same with the tires) but be aware of possible fitment issues or error in your speedo and odometer if you change the total outside diameter of the tires.

If you have instagram, you can search out a lot - A LOT - of modded Foresters, from mild to wild, as well as on here.

As I said - it all depends on what you want to do with the Foz...

And congrats on the new Foz and welcome to sf.org...!

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,257 Posts
Welcome and congrats. My first mod has always been to buy tires that fit your needs the most.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 5 Speed Manual
1,617 Posts
my list for any ride, CB radio, hitch, cross bars & roof rack. I added a "Primitive" brand front skid plate to the Forester too. add all those to backup camera, nav & sunroof. it's like adding room & board to college tuition. doubles the investment

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,707 Posts
@emans4seam welcome to the forum from Oregon!

You can ask your technical questions here:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
58 Posts
Congrats on the new subie. I added the following when I got mine
New upgraded Stereo,upgraded alarm, remote starter, tint the windows, and an extra set of wheels and blizzak's for a start, got the color matched body moldings that I will be putting on soon.

·
Registered
2017 Forester (un)Limited
172 Posts
Hello everyone!

I am a proud owner of my new 2018 forester limited (owned a 2001 VDC obi previously), for those of you that own/owned this model, can anyone suggest some good bang for the buck options for yellow LED fog lights, underbody protection, rokblocks or rallyarmour mudflaps, and any other quality of life mods that I may run into during my ownership?

Thanks!
Welcome to sf.org! I recently got rid of my WRX for an NA 2017 Forester too! I blacked out the wings on my upper grill and plan on doing tires for now and contemplating my suspension setup too. There is so much out there for Foresters regardless whether or not you're boosted. Anyway, if you want any kind of film to black out the orange on your headlights, I would recommend eBay. That stuff is cheap and worth it. Everything else like suspension upgrades and skid plates, I'd recommend LP Adventure: LP Aventure. However again, your choices are endless. :)

·
Registered
2018 Mineral Gray Forester Limited 2.5i
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soft-roader/overlander? Then you want to start with skid plates (I've got Primitive Racing triple armor on my 2014 Limited). Decent all terrain tires will help you get to places you want to go... some will be more off-road and some more on-road... I've got Continental TerrainContact ATs on mine - a good blend for off road ability and still maintain on road comfort. Lights, light bars, roof basket or storage, etc., can make you able to make the most of going out there...
Thanks for the tips! I am certainly looking towards the softroader category as I travel a lot and have that rock climber/surfer lifestyle. What do you think of the PR tripple armor? I was looking at that but wasn't sure if the $500 is really worth it.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,683 Posts
I love my Primitive Racing... When I've gone off-road (soft road) I have heard tings and pings when something has brushed the underside - mostly just scrub brush and the like. But yes, even if it's just a piece of mind thing - it's worth it...

·
Registered
288 Posts
@emans4seam When I talked to my Subaru mod shop, they recommended PR's front and mid armor and to pass on the diff armor, as the diff is pretty strong and sturdy unless you are doing some hardcore rally racing or some insane rock crawling.

Someone on this forum mentioned they passed on the diff armor (as did I) because of this. For regular USFS roads, front and mid are plenty. Instead of the rear diff, you could look into skid rails.

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
341 Posts
19mm rear anti sway bar, steering dampener lockout, fumoto valve and full frontal 3m paint protection film. Rock chips have been the baine of my existence and not doing the PPF is my worst regret

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.