Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 Premium XT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Just drove out to Utah this week to pick up a 2015 2.0 XT that's in great shape. I've been without a car ('08 4Runner) since the beginning of August from a hit and run. The previous owner definitely put a lot into this car and I'm looking for some advice on how to get it set up as is for now for mountain driving...

I live at the end of a dirt road, which is at the end of a windy and undulating mountain road, and we frequently see storms of 8-18" of snow.

To my knowledge these are the features/upgrades that this car has:
  • ISC N1 Coilovers with the green Triple S springs. The car sits 1 inch lower than stock, I measured another Forester today.
  • AEM turbo, which I believe is aftermarket.
  • Motegi MR116 18" wheels. General RT43 tires.
  • Invidia exhaust.

I somehow already got a flat/have a leak in the right rear tire. Pulled the trigger on a set of 225/60/17 Wildpeak Trail A/Ts and LP Aventure LP1 17" +35 wheels from Tire Rack. I've had the tires on the 4runner for a few years now and they are about the only thing I trust against other Colorado transplant drivers....

Can anyone give me some technical advice on how to make this Bad Larry more mountain ready? Mostly regarding the ISC N1 Coilovers and how to adjust them so they aren't as low and sporty.

I'm already out because of the insurance out of pocket from the hit and run, and I'm not trying to sink too much into it just yet.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2022 Forester 2018 Forester XT
15,276 Posts
It won't do 18" I would just drive as is and see what else is necessary. You addressed the tire issue

·
Registered
SJ 2.5
10 Posts
The coilovers will not allow you to ride higher than stock I believe. That should be the first thing on your list to swap out, stock struts and shocks and the very minimum. Yellow speed racing extended travel coilovers if you got an extra 2 grand burning a hole in your pocket... Find a stock airbox as well as any aftermarket intake will be more likely to suck up water in off-road situations.

Best ethos to bring moving forward with would be to remove all the liabilities you may have. Such as street intended coilovers and exposed air filters.

·
Registered
02 wrx 06 sti 06 legacy gt 09 forester 13 legacy 3.6r
63 Posts
Look and see where the adjuster rings are set on your coilovers now.
You should have some adjust ability you should be to at least get it back to stock height.
Ride quality may be a issue depending on the spring rate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice so far! I've tried getting the adjustment rings loosened to adjust the current ride height, and couldn't get them to release. I may have another go at it in the near future, but I did end up pulling the trigger on some more suitable suspension. Bilstein B6 struts with Rallitek overload springs in the rear and sport springs up front. Unfortunately, they are backordered until March, so now we wait. Not going for a lift for now, but with those springs and struts, I should be sitting quite a bit higher. The wheels and tires should go on this week, and I post and update. Excited to get proper tires! Big storm coming through this week.

As for the intake, possibly down the road. I don't find myself driving in the wet often, so I'll assess the situation next summer and as the finances allow.

Eventually looking at installing some OEM fog lights, they help when driving in Star wars snow storms here.

·
Registered
SJ 2.5
10 Posts
You need (don't NEED, but makes life a billion times easier) a specific coilover spanner wrench to adjust the height. In addition to having coilovers, there is a good chance the overall body of the shock, even at maximum height, is about 1.5-2 inches shorter than stock sj struts due to the fact that they were probably designed for the wrx/sti.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need (don't NEED, but makes life a billion times easier) a specific coilover spanner wrench to adjust the height. In addition to having coilovers, there is a good chance the overall body of the shock, even at maximum height, is about 1.5-2 inches shorter than stock sj struts due to the fact that they were probably designed for the wrx/sti.

I have the spanners for the coilovers, just didn't have enough daylight to work with and try anything besides elbow grease. I did take measurements, and they are what's recommended by ISC for the Forester, and it only sits 1" lower than stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts