Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first Forester. Its a 2013 X (base) model. It has about 77,000 miles on it.
Got it for a commuter. I have about a 30 mile commute into Boise, ID. We live up Highway 21 in Snow country.

The car seems to be in good shape. Just order brakes and rotors to do the front brakes.

What else should I change/check on this car? The car dealer didn't do much except detail the car. I want to make sure it will run a long time.

Do I need to flush the coolant, transmission, transaxles, etc etc??

Thanks for the help and the great site.

Randy in Idaho

·
Registered
2010 Forester 5-speed manual
169 Posts

·
Registered
(2013-2020) 2011 2.5x (2020-?) 2018 2.5i pkg #2
25 Posts
Nice, the last year of the SH version. Some of them burn oil. Check the oil weekly at first, less often later on if it does not get low. I lose about a quart every 3 weeks in my 2011 at 130K
I'd check the AC filter in the cab, check the intake air filter under the hood, change the brake fluid, change the gear lube in both differentials, inspect/change 10 qts ATF-HP if it is 4 speed automatic (<--this is a little tricky) maybe change the spark plugs but only because Subaru says change every 60k instead of 100K or more. The original OEM Super Blue coolant is rated for 137K or 11 years if not diluted or mixed, the serpentine accessory belt is rated for 105K. Rotate the tires if new, replace if original, check the wiper blades top up the washer fluid, ….keep an eye on the oil for a bit

2013 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,273 Posts
Do I need to flush the coolant, transmission, transaxles, etc etc??
Here's the recommended scheduled maintenance for your vehicle:
2013 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

If you have no record of the 30k and 60k mile services being done, I would do them now.

Since you don't know if you car was driven by the previous owner under severe driving conditions as defined, assume it was. Therefore I would change the ATF and diff fluids now.

See if any Subaru dealers might have maintenance records indicating that some items have been done. A CarFax might also reveal what maintenance has been done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts