1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I bought a 2001 Forester L a few days ago and so far am loving it. :woohoo:

It is low mileage and generally in excellent condition. I have a couple small issues and questions:

1. The tab that opens the top armrest compartment is broken and jagged.
I am guessing others have had this happen to them. It looks like and easy replace but if someone knows a better fix or what the part number is, I would appreciate it.

2. The rear bumper had some sort of rubber cover on top of it- for protection? It came off this morning
It looks like a two sided tape was used to attach it originally. What would be a good product for re-attaching or is this piece worth keeping?

3. Also, the heater fan is noisy. It sounds like some debris may be caught in it or is this a common issue? I hear it more on the passenger side. Can I get to this fan without too much trouble to check it out?

TIA

Bill

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. The tab that opens the top armrest compartment is broken and jagged. I am guessing others have had this happen to them. It looks like and easy replace but if someone knows a better fix or what the part number is, I would appreciate it.
Common problem, the design of the tab lends itself to getting hooked on jackets, purse straps, etc.. . You can buy a new tab, but what I did instead was shave mine so it was just a smooth stub that doesn't even stick out past the lid. It works perfectly as a latch and never hooks anything.

2. The rear bumper had some sort of rubber cover on top of it- for protection? It came off this morning. It looks like a two sided tape was used to attach it originally. What would be a good product for re-attaching or is this piece worth keeping?
Adhesive tape from the auto supply place - can be a bit pricey. Make sure the underlying surfaces are 100% clean and dry before applying!

3. Also, the heater fan is noisy. It sounds like some debris may be caught in it or is this a common issue? I hear it more on the passenger side. Can I get to this fan without too much trouble to check it out?
Yep, remove the glovebox which is easy, then fan is held in with 3 screws I think.

You can find part numbers and drawings over at opposedforces.com, if you need to buy parts please use a supporting vendor from the forum (subarupartsgirl over at Annapolis Subaru has been very helpful to a lot of folks here!)

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Common problem, the design of the tab lends itself to getting hooked on jackets, purse straps, etc.. . You can buy a new tab, but what I did instead was shave mine so it was just a smooth stub that doesn't even stick out past the lid. It works perfectly as a latch and never hooks anything.
I will still probably need to buy a new one because the old one is pretty jagged but filing it down is a good idea.

Adhesive tape from the auto supply place - can be a bit pricey. Make sure the underlying surfaces are 100% clean and dry before applying!

Yep, remove the glovebox which is easy, then fan is held in with 3 screws I think.
Excellent info! Thanks!

You can find part numbers and drawings over at opposedforces.com, if you need to buy parts please use a supporting vendor from the forum (subarupartsgirl over at Annapolis Subaru has been very helpful to a lot of folks here!)
Annapolis Subaru is only 1/2 hour drive from my home. That's handy!

One more question:
I have what sounds like a heat shield vibration noise. Any idea which heat shield is the most likely culprit?

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
You don't need to remove the glovebox to remove the heater fan and squirrel cage. There are 3 screws that can be accessed from the floor area. One is a bit of a bugger to get to though. Fan drops out from the bottom. Ours had some pine needles stuck in there.

The step pad needs auto body specific tape to hold it on, preferably 3M brand stuff. I'd just swing by a local body shop and ask them to do it for you, probably cost you a "tip" or maybe $10. That tape is expensive and comes in a pretty hefty roll you'll never use.

The rattle could be any of the 2 million heat shields on the exhaust. You can just try tightening the fasteners and see if you get lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts