Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, there. My wife and I are currently driving a 1995 Geo Prizm, which we love dearly and has served us very well. But it is starting to become less reliable, so we're getting ready to buy our first new car.

We had always intended to buy a Honda, so I started looking at the CR-V. In my research, however, the Forester kept popping up as a better and <gasp!> cheaper alternative. The more I learn, the more I like. This may have cinched it: pilotsnpaws.org/2010/04/subaru-partners-with-pilots-n-paws-4/

Anyway, that's why I'm here, hoping to learn more about what looks like a pretty cool vehicle. Thanks in advance for tolerating all my noob questions!

Cheers,
-Brian*

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
Brian, welcome from KY. My wife and I own a 07xt and just this week added a 2010x to our stable.

I really like the new forester a lot, it has some things that could be better, but $ for $, its a great car in the 300 miles we have had the 2010 and the 33k we have had the 07. Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
8 Posts
Go for it! I took the plunge today. I researched the Honda CRV, Mazda Tribute, and others extensively (and of course the Forester) and it was a no-brainer, especially after I test drove the Forester. The thing that put me over the edge (on top of the impressive safety stats) was the astonishing amount of visibility I have in the Forester. It's almost like driving in a fishbowl compared to my last car ('05 Chevy Equinox), and that's no small thing, because the giant triangular blind spot in the rear passenger side of the Equinox contributed to a bad accident I had 3 years ago. My Subaru salesman told me that they did an experiment with a 39" dummy to determine how far away from the dummy one had to be before it became visible. In the CRV, it was over 20 feet before you could see it behind the car. In the Forester, it was 8 feet. I didn't witness the experiment myself but I believe it. Mind you, I have only 46 miles on the car, but I'm convinced I made the right decision. Good luck!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,971 Posts
Welcome! We're glad to have you here.

My wife too had a 95 Prizm. It was quite a reliable car and served us well for about 10 years. It's now been replaced with the 2005 Impreza,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome and happy car hunting.
Ha! Well, thanks. But I can't imagine the car-hunting is going to be very happy. I haven't heard many good things about the dealers in my area, and I've always dreaded the prospect of buying a new car. But oh well, it has to be done!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Cheers,
-Brian*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts