Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sports X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:woohoo:

Girlfriend has had the newer '09 Forester for almost two years and we've been very pleased with the vehicle. I recently decided I needed AWD after getting stuck twice this past winter in my Suzuki. Time to pay down the car I had and the right deal came along that landed me in an '07 Sports X model with only 18,000 miles. They were asking $18,900 for the [car, truck, SUV, wagon???] but that is of course a tad high and we fell on $17,000.

Anyway, a few questions... if I may :D ...

I've ordered a K&N filter. Some vehicles benefit from having the computer reset to learn driving habits, in order to get tranny gear switching and fuel injector power preferences established (I tend to drive a little aggressively). Have people with after market air solutions been doing anything special?

One or both of the front discs are slightly warped as I get a minor amount of pulsing in the brakes depending on slope and how hard I have to apply them. I recognize this from past vehicles with the same issue. On my last car I swapped some vented discs and premium pads and it worked like a charm, but was hoping for some suggestions for good sources for brake parts on the Forester. I think the drums are fine.

I'll probably want to think ahead about tranny service (how often do you folks actually perform yours?) and look for suggestions for good plugs (iridiums?).

Thanks in advance! :bananapartyhat:

·
Registered
2007 Sports X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shalootm right back at ya! :icon_biggrin:

I found a partial answer to my reset for the air filter in one of the stickies in this section.

Still wondering if it's necessary (ie - if people who've done this actually saw a difference in performance).

Poking around the stickies and getting myself familiar with the common problems and preventive stuff I can be doing. I'm hoping to get the usual forever out of the vehicle. One friend had an older 90s model Forester that finally collapsed from tranny failure at 287,000 miles. I would only be so lucky! :rock:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! Post up a picture so we can look it over. :wink:

If you're not already a member, you might want to register at MySubaru. It's free & there lots of vehicle specific information there. :cool:

No need to reset the ECM for a K&N drop in air filter... I didn't do one. Still, it's not going to hurt anything to reset the ECM, it may even help. :smile:

I did my coolant, AT & front/rear differential last summer at a bit over 22K. There was no service history when I bought my FSXT (June/09), so I figured better safe than sorry. On your X model, your spark plugs don't need changing until 30K mile, most likely will be fine at 60K miles.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2007 Sports X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On your X model, your spark plugs don't need changing until 30K mile, most likely will be fine at 60K miles.
Thanks Bobby and others for the welcomes.

I'm pretty sure you're saying at 30 and 60k, but just to confirm - you meant every 30k for plugs and maybe every 60k for wires (and plugs again) ?

I looked over the service manual the first day I had the car and it's a pretty standard schedule. The only wiggle room was in the tranny service, which they indicated to "inspect" every 30k. I assume clean tranny fluid means all is okay and I can keep on going without the need for a service (?). I know historically Subaru's transmissions are rock solid, one of the best in the business. I've heard of sealed transmissions, like the one in my Suzuki, going 100k without service. But this isn't sealed so I was trying to figure out (ballpark) when I should expect to budget that in my maintenance costs. That's one item I won't service myself until maybe after the drivetrain warranty runs out. It's too important to me to haggle over documentation should it fail within warranty.

·
Registered
2007 Sports X
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this not a section of the forum to ask technical questions? What's the point then?

[Thanks for the couple private messages :), but I still have a few question unanswered and I don't even think they're tough ones! ;) ]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,840 Posts
Is this not a section of the forum to ask technical questions? What's the point then?

[Thanks for the couple private messages :), but I still have a few question unanswered and I don't even think they're tough ones! ;) ]
This is the "New Member Introductions" thread & not all members look or reply to the posts here. So to answer your question, no, not the correct place to post technical questions. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
It's really crazy sometimes to think about just how small this world is becoming... Aint it?!.. It's crazy.

Welcome to the land of everything Subie.

Last month I finally broke down (literally) and traded the old Ordin Arymobile on a Forester. It hasn't been loaded with camping gear, and lean-to repair tools and materials yet, but it's just a matter of time.

At this rate the trailhead will be over-run with Subies.

Ordin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts