Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT about 7 months ago and have no idea were to start with mods.. it seems very hard to find parts that will fit/ work 100% sure. Alot of people seem to pull parts off other models and years. I would like to start of with a CAI and pipes. Then suspension, any help would be great!! ps I LOVE MY FORESTER, seams like it can do anything!!!

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
glad to hear you love your new Forester, and as far as modifications... a lot of the parts made for the 08+ STi fit onto the Forester, and that's pretty much a good place to start.
Just make sure you're prepared to do a custom tune when you start getting into the more serious parts like downpipe and possible turbos and such.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Post up a picture of your '09 XT so the forum members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
99 Forester/96 Impreza
40 Posts
Congrats on the buy. Just so you're aware though make sure you get a tune if you go with a CAI and turbo-back. You'll run all kinds of messed up without it. If you just get a cat-back you won't really need one but thats where the power will come from.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
The factory intake is already a CAI. You might find aftermarket that *looks* better but likely not any that function better. A tune might be a better investment.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Skip the cold-air or short-ram intake, for the time being. The factory airbox is a rather amazing piece. And yes, I'm being dead serious.

If you do pursue this option, like the others here have said, you'll need a tune for it, right off the bat, and to me, that's not a cost-effective way to go.

Honestly, leave the intake until you *need* to do something with it (i.e. the factory stuff starts to physically get in the way, when you go with a properly supported bigger-turbo option).

Instead, go with post-turbo pipework (and the manifold/header option, if you're ambitious) as well as the corresponding AccessPORT remap/tune thereafter.

Better yet, tackle your planned order of upgrades in reverse of what you'd posted.

I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the ride and handling of my wife's '09 FXT - and that's coming from a rather improperly modified suspension setup on my '05 Legacy, as well as my wife's immediate previous car, a bone-stock '05 WRX sedan.

I honestly don't know that I'd want to boost the power any more, without first making sure that the suspension/chassis-control is up to par, and that includes tires, too. I can't imagine my Legacy's "Stage II" power level, on a platform as pillowy as that of an otherwise unmodified FXT.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Well guys here is the update from my first post when i got the car, since then I have put the COBB tuner in, 3in COBB down, SPT exhaust, lowered with full WRX suspention. Its alot nicer :) Now what to do next? Does anyone have and pros and cons of a top mount VS a front mount intercooler?

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
^ Nice! :smile: I'm so jealous!

---

Truthfully, I don't see any reason for you to keep the top-mount configuration, unless you're planning to stay at "Stage II" or see a "smaller-sized" but bigger, factory-orientation turbo in your future as a true stopping point.

If you plan to go further, with a bigger-turbo setup, I'd wait and work out your front-mount and intake configuration until that time.

Tires and rims can make a big impact on both your daily comfort/performance as well as safety, and are worth every penny.

Power-wise, if you're happy at "Stage II" but still have a few hundred more to-spare, I'd consider going with a professional, live, road and/or dyno-tune of the vehicle, both to maximize its potential as well as to insure better safety margins than with OTS mapping.

Other than that, it's time to work on the "fun" stuff - ICE. :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5 XT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i dont want to back myself into a corner with the top mount, but on the other hand i dont wanna spend a crap ton of money. have you heard of anyone running a front mount with the JDM front end made by aero? I would like to use a perrin, ive heard good things from them. but i dont wanna run into a clearence issue with the front clip and intercooler. as for wheels i could not agree more i need them REALLY bad! ive been looking at rotta SVN's in a hyper black on an 18'' with maybe a 245 or 250 width...something with meat!!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
yes i dont want to back myself into a corner with the top mount, but on the other hand i dont wanna spend a crap ton of money. have you heard of anyone running a front mount with the JDM front end made by aero? I would like to use a perrin, ive heard good things from them. but i dont wanna run into a clearence issue with the front clip and intercooler.
I wish I had better advice for you - but honestly and sadly, I am embarrassed to say that aside from those very generalized considerations I'd put forth prior, I am ill-equipped to help you with the specifics. :icon_redface: You see, the SH is my wife's, and she is adamant about me keeping my hands off her car. :icon_redface::shake::icon_cry:

Since my knowledge comes "from doing" (I'm an admitted and addicted DIY backyard shady-tree greasemonkey wrench :icon_biggrin:), I lack the necessary "doing," with this vehicle, for me to have accumulated the necessary knowledge base.

as for wheels i could not agree more i need them REALLY bad! ive been looking at rotta SVN's in a hyper black on an 18'' with maybe a 245 or 250 width...something with meat!!!!!
Just remember that weight can be an issue, too - and that if you're going to run all-seasons, you'll also want to balance wintering capability, with the increase in tread-width, too. :)

The current-generation turbocharged Subarus, across the platforms, seem to be much stronger and fatter in terms of torque/torque-curve, especially once one moves on to aftermarket engine-management, than previous-generation models. However, even then, "Stage II" still isn't a true powerhouse, and larger/heavier wheels and tires can and will noticeably impact performance - in both good and bad ways. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts