Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a long wait - I test drove a 2.5i Fozzy when it first came out - an FXT in the color I wanted and the features I was hoping for arrived at a dealer 40 min away. I kept in touch with the dealer and as soon as he said it arrived I drove down with my wife and took it for a ride.

I was honestly expecting it to behave similarly to the 2.5i, though with way more oomph, but was very surprised at how well it performed, especially considering the STI I'd be trading it for. It's not even close to the STI WRT performance, but presented a more than fair compromise.

The lack of excessive road noise and increased comfort were the first and most obvious differences. The radio is still terrible, but also leaps and bounds better than the STI. Also, the CVT, which was somewhat of a detractor in the 2.5i, made the XT a pleasure to drive. With the turbo, it always kept the revs low for casual to moderate driving, only rising above 4k for aggressive throttle inputs. Again, it's no STI, but that's not a bad thing.

I'll cut this short, but suffice to say I traded the STI and drove my new FXT home. The trip indicator displayed ~30 mpg on the drive home and has since fallen to ~26 mpg with the last two days of all-out driving. I averaged 21-22 mpg over the past 5 years in my STI, so the prospect of lower gas bills in a larger vehicle are great.

I'm a moderator over at iwsti.com and have been there since buying my STI. I hope to learn as much as i can and contribute to the community often. Thanks for having me!

This is what I came from:

Quick pics of the new XT:

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I love my 2014 XT Touring and am glad to hear you are enjoying yours as well. The economy of this vehicle for the size and power it has is remarkable.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
Congratulations on FXT purchase!

I've had mine a week and have been blown away by the performance, handling comfort and quality of this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Welcome to the ranks!

I came from a similar place with a heavily modified '04 WRX as my previous ride. The '14 XT arrived just in time and has proved to be a great choice for our growing family.

The '13 wasn't even on my list when looking for a CUV (I was thinking German), but the changes to the '14 won me over. I'm not very brand-loyal. This is the first time I've purchased the same brand of car twice in a row.

I think this model has been pretty good at capturing those of us from the tuner crowd that are looking for something that still performs, but is much more adult.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone searching or contemplating moving on from an STI or WRX, this is a great choice. I'll miss a few things, like the power and handing, and even the gear whine that accompanies the fantastic all-around LSD's, but as a DD it was clunky, loud and required a lot of attention. I'm glad I owned it, but, based upon the short time i've spent with my new FXT, don't think I'll ever feel the need to own another as a main car.

In the future, i'd rather buy a mint S2000 or Miata as a dedicated auto-X, weekend fun car or an older WRX/STI or anything with a little more power as a track car.

Note: I only auto-X ' my STI once and took part in a winter driving course once. If i was a track rat or racing-type enthusiast my decision would have differed, but for my needs the FXT is sufficient.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Added pics. I'll add more if I can find them. It seems like every one has taken a billion pics of their vehiculars, but these are all that I've uploaded...

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls! :bacon:
Nice photos!
Thanks! I can't wait for the new STI to come out, so I can talk my wife into taking the FXT and letting me trade her Civic in on it! Unfortunately, her Civic only has 100k miles on it, so we've got at least another 5 years before we can justify trading it... Maybe if it comes with 400CHP and gets 30+ MPG combined :shake:

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, welcome to the Fozzie forum 'wool!

So what's your oil plan on this?

-Dennis

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I haven't quite decided. It doesn't seem like any one on this forum has quite figured out what to do. All I know, is that I won't be taking the first interval to anywhere near the 7,500 miles it lists in my OM.

I've also got an OCI worth of Mag1 5W-40, and two OCI's worth of GC 0W-30 I need to use up. I'd be forced to send out samples for UOA each time to backup my choice for warranty purposes, however (assuming SOA would even accept a SAT UOA if other-than-spec'd oil was used...)

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,682 Posts
I haven't quite decided. It doesn't seem like any one on this forum has quite figured out what to do. All I know, is that I won't be taking the first interval to anywhere near the 7,500 miles it lists in my OM.

I've also got an OCI worth of Mag1 5W-40, and two OCI's worth of GC 0W-30 I need to use up. I'd be forced to send out samples for UOA each time to backup my choice for warranty purposes, however (assuming SOA would even accept a SAT UOA if other-than-spec'd oil was used...)
Remember. You don't need to actually prove that you changed your oil and used 5W-30, you only need to have receipts showing that you bought the oil. Just sayin'. :biggrin:

Good luck with the car! It looks great!

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remember. You don't need to actually prove that you changed your oil and used 5W-30, you only need to have receipts showing that you bought the oil. Just sayin'. :biggrin:

Good luck with the car! It looks great!

-Dennis
Shhhh! :lildevil:

·
Registered
2014 Forester XTP CVT
184 Posts
welcome, i also came from GR STi to the 2014 XT and the stuff i miss are the power, 6 speed, and handling, but overall i like my XT and and it handles better now with my new springs.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
welcome, i also came from GR STi to the 2014 XT and the stuff i miss are the power, 6 speed, and handling, but overall i like my XT and and it handles better now with my new springs.

Which springs did you go with?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts