Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running up to the end of the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires that I tried, based on a Forums member's suggestion 5+ years ago....

These were good, all season skins and it's time to replace them. The situtaion now has changed and this leads to my question.

Back when I got the TRZ Avids, I was traveling 20-30K miles per year in all weather. The Forester was only at 90K miles and the future was relatively infinite.

Now, however, the Forester is at 147K miles and my commute os 2 miles each way.........we take highway drives every week for 10-15 minutes and an occasional hour to 2 hour drive to the beach or mountains BUT the annual mileage is only 4-5K miles.

Yoko no longer makes the TRZ model and there may not be as much need for the higher priced tires in my use. I'll keep the car as long as it runs but it's hard to envision 50,000 miles at the rate that I'm driving now.

Does anyone have any thoughts based on their own tire ownership? I still need an all-season tire because we live in NH where snow (and rain) is part of the yearly landscape.........just doesn't have to be an upper tier tire brand anymore.....I could get a no name tire at a tire store up here BUT the idea of an "off" brand is .....unsettling?

Your advice is appreciated!

Steve

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X Prem.
80 Posts
I am running up to the end of the Yokohama Avid TRZ tires that I tried, based on a Forums member's suggestion 5+ years ago....

These were good, all season skins and it's time to replace them. The situtaion now has changed and this leads to my question.

Back when I got the TRZ Avids, I was traveling 20-30K miles per year in all weather. The Forester was only at 90K miles and the future was relatively infinite.

Now, however, the Forester is at 147K miles and my commute os 2 miles each way.........we take highway drives every week for 10-15 minutes and an occasional hour to 2 hour drive to the beach or mountains BUT the annual mileage is only 4-5K miles.

Yoko no longer makes the TRZ model and there may not be as much need for the higher priced tires in my use. I'll keep the car as long as it runs but it's hard to envision 50,000 miles at the rate that I'm driving now.

Does anyone have any thoughts based on their own tire ownership? I still need an all-season tire because we live in NH where snow (and rain) is part of the yearly landscape.........just doesn't have to be an upper tier tire brand anymore.....I could get a no name tire at a tire store up here BUT the idea of an "off" brand is .....unsettling?

Your advice is appreciated!

Steve
Hello Steve,

What is your rim size? I have a MY10 Forester Prem. I do a lot of trips up to Flagstaff and Showlow and other heavy snow areas in the winter so I put in Pirelli Allroad P6's. 225/55 17" 97H - this particular variation has been very satisfying for me and my driving through snow storms up north. There are better all season tires out there but based on your statement and needs I think these will be great for you.

Hope this was helpful.

-Taha-

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, STKazmi83........

I'll price them out. I've never had Pirellis BUT know plenty of folks who do and love them. My rim size is 16", the stock SG XT alloys......

Thanks so much,

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
something like the new General AltiMAX RT43
might serve you well. 80$ Each or so.

if you can hold off till turkey day in november and try to snag one of the double-triple rebate deals.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
I always bought Uniroyal Laredo Cross Countries for my Escape. I think now they call them Cross Country Tour. Lasted a long time and okay in snow. Good pricing also on these tires, not the the most expensive and not the cheapest.

Honestly the only tires that will get you around in heavy snow are dedicated snow tires.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys!

Thanks, the Uniroyals and the Generals will be next on my list of tires to check. Just as I was getting ready to replace the tires, this evening, one of our cats had to go to the ER with the associated but unexpected costs so waiting for next month is now the plan.....

Thanks for the suggestions.......normally, I'd have opted for a middle priced name brand tire BUT,with the short commute and the relatively high mileage on the car, the tires have to reflect the new reality.

Thank you!!

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Hi guys!

Thanks for the suggestions.......normally, I'd have opted for a middle priced name brand tire BUT,with the short commute and the relatively high mileage on the car, the tires have to reflect the new reality.

Thank you!!

Steve

I have heard some good reports about Kumho tires. Relatively cheap, but not a bad tire. Add Kumho to your search box.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
259 Posts
Ill vouch for Kumho. Pretty good. But I use tirerack.com to do research on all my tires. They have alot of information over there and are pretty well priced.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys....I'm on TR right now and saw the Kumhos also....can't argue with the price but t.he Generals are pretty reasonable too.......I'll check em all out.

Just got our cat back, several hundred dollars later, about the price for a decent set of tires.....some coincidence, eh?

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts