Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time user, first time poster. subaruforester.com great reference!

Ok, so I was due for a timing belt replacement. I ordered up a kit from Jackie at Annapolis Subaru (great service and prices), got the factory service manual and got to work.

Put everything together, after checking timing belt alignment multiple times, and now it wont start. It cranks, and sounds normal while cranking, but doesn't even try to fire up.

Kicker: I had a hard time getting the cam gears off, saw that flstffxe said loosen them before taking the timing belt off, so I slipped it back on, and was able to break them free. The problem was that I didn't have the timing marks aligned and I heard a click sound in the process!

Question: Did I bend a valve!? Would that keep the engine from starting? Did I just forget to plug something back in (after multiple checks, as far as I can tell, everything is back the way it was)?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a little embarrassed, I've always done my own work on my cars and dont want to claim defeat.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L
159 Posts
It would still start with a bent valve. Check the typical things, do you have spark, gas and compression? Did you connect the spark plug wires correctly?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
I would not be surprised if the timing is incorrect. Believe me, I have been doing EJ motors since 1990 ( EJ22 1st year in the US ) and I still fall guilty from time to time.

The cam shafts are the easy timing marks to find. The crank is the one that is usually missed, or you use the wrong mark. It MUST be the small line on one of the trigger ears facing up ( almost 12 o'clock ) toward the corresponding mark by the crank sensor. At the proper mark, the key in the crank pulley is about 7 o'clock and the triangle for TDC is about 3 o'clock.

Hope your problem is this simple ...... good luck.

·
Registered
2004 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The timing belt jumped, a lot. The weird thing is, when I rotated the drive shaft with the belt still on, all three marks where still aligned, all of them pointed up. I put the belt back on and took some pics just to make sure I am getting things right.

Is there something I missed in order to keep the belt from jumping?

I just put it together the way it was originally pulled the pin from the new tensioner and it felt like there was reasonable tension so I called it good. I think I saw that someone suggested to cycle the engine a couple times before starting it so I will definitely try that this next time.

Still have my fingers crossed about the valves but I don't know if I'm that lucky.

Thanks for your input guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Remove the spark plugs and spin the motor by hand a few times just to make sure. It's been long enough since my last t.b. job that I'm no help on the marks. Something seems off on the crank though. I remember the keyway being in a different location. Time for some digging into the archives....
Here's a vid showing that the keyway is not on top.

·
Registered
2003 Forester xs Au(to) naturale(/a)
1,100 Posts
The timing belt jumped, a lot. The weird thing is, when I rotated the drive shaft with the belt still on, all three marks where still aligned, all of them pointed up. I put the belt back on and took some pics just to make sure I am getting things right.

Is there something I missed in order to keep the belt from jumping?

I just put it together the way it was originally pulled the pin from the new tensioner and it felt like there was reasonable tension so I called it good. I think I saw that someone suggested to cycle the engine a couple times before starting it so I will definitely try that this next time.

Still have my fingers crossed about the valves but I don't know if I'm that lucky.

Thanks for your input guys.
I'm sorry, but I'm not clear on whether these pictures are the aftermath of the belt jumping, or are they of the finished product?

That's the wrong mark you have pointing up on the crank sprocket. It should be the little straight line.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
950 Posts
your crank is 180 degrees off, the keyway faces down.

·
Registered
2004 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The pics show the position of the crank and cams after the jump with the timing belt reoriented.

The white marks were from the previous TB replacement, also still visible on the TB as well, that is why I just used those considering it ran fine since I have owned it. I'll flip it.

Thanks

Edit: I really can't say that the white marks on the drive shaft gear were used previously I just assumed that because of the white marks on the belt and cam gears.

·
Registered
1998 forester automatic
49 Posts
Let me know how things worked out! I'm in the middle of changing mine and I think I had the same problem

·
Registered
2004 forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved!

Thanks everyone for your help!

One edit: I don't think that the TB jumped, I just didn't think it through and just saw that the lines on the belt no longer matched the marks on the gears but that's just because

Hopefully I didn't scare anyone away from doing this job. Next time I will make sure to use the marks on the gears, the marks on the belt and count teeth like the service manual says to do! Also loosen the cam shaft gear bolts before removing the belt.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Glad to hear you got it solved ... AND posted back for future member search .

As I stated, it IS easy to read the incorrect marking on the crank pulley.

·
Registered
1996 Legacy Outback automatic
1 Posts
You guys are awesome!
I just did a HG replace and couldn't start the car.

Nearly ripped my hairs out. I used the triangle on the crank for the timing mark. Would have never ever caught this without the forum. Thanks!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts