Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get beefier sway bars, front and rear, for my SH, do I need to get new sway bar endlinks as well?

Are the stock endlinks acceptable, or would I not fully see the benefit of the upgraded sway bars without upgrading the endlinks?

I apologize for the naive question - I'm not familiar with the inner-workings of the suspension. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Yea, you should do the endlinks. Those that haven't wind up doing them after they break/twist/bend. The stock EL's are not meant to handle the thicker/stronger SW's. Tom at Kartboy just finished the EL's for the MY09-10 Foz. Do a search and you will find them.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
the stock ones will fit for now, but with the added force they will start to bend after a while, you will still notice a difference with just the sways, but the links finish off the upgrade with something meatier then the little oem twigs.

I have an extra set of Whiteline end links that would work for the fronts if you want to buy them off me? They are the full adjustable style KLC39.

Kartboy or GroupA have rears for us.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I'll probably go with replacing the endlinks as well, but all of this will have to wait...gotta save up a bit... :icon_cool:

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Honestly endlinks on 03+ foresters won't make any difference in performance at all. All the new ones use metal links with spherical joints. The main reason most people end up going with aftermarket endlinks is for durability as the stock spherical joints can wear out and start clunking pretty heavily.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,677 Posts
If I get beefier sway bars, front and rear, for my SH, do I need to get new sway bar endlinks as well?

Are the stock endlinks acceptable, or would I not fully see the benefit of the upgraded sway bars without upgrading the endlinks?
On my '03, I upgraded the linkends with the heavier front & rear swaybars. I recently installed a heavier rear swaybar on my '07 FSXT. The newer linkends are pretty stout, so I decided to reuse them. I figure if it breaks, then I'll replace them. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,436 Posts
You can get by with the stock links with typical driving.

The front stock links broke with the cobb bar going over a very uneven surface (max articulation). I now have a set perrin solid spherical links up front. Much more direct response from the front bar in the turns and lane changes. They do need some periodic lubrication. I just wait until I hear them bind. :biggrin:

I didn't notice a significant performance difference (over stock) going to the urethane links in the back (i.e. Kartboy). They don't move as freely as a spherical joint but work fine.

The only links that have clunked were the Pol-Tec pieces in the back. I hated them. They were basically two heim joints bolted together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts