Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm a first time Forster buyer. I've owned two legacys but this is our first Forester. It is the "X" model with 186,700 miles, and auto transmission, and, best of all, NO RUST! I don't like the look of the wheels so I'll be fixing them it's not that big a deal. I only paid $1200 but there's a reason. It might need a transmission. It shifts fine but there's a growl when accelerating on the passenger side. We're really happy with the buy because I can do a swap, if needed. I just got it home last night from 2 hours away in St.Paul, MN.. Will check back about what I've found!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Make sure the critical timing belt + associated parts maintenance was done. Looks like it should have been done a second time. :confused:

The '03 has a tendency to have leaking head gaskets, so if you haven't done an inspection on the dirty side, you might want take a look. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The paperwork shows the timing belt was last changed at 102k. Not good! They told her it was okay for 100k miles, I hope they were just ignorant that it needs to be changed at 60k and not being jerks. I was nervous about it breaking while driving it home! It's going to getting changed right away. There's no problem with head gaskets yet, thank goodness. It looks like the steering rack is leaking a little on the drivers side but the engine is dry.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
The paperwork shows the timing belt was last changed at 102k. Not good! They told her it was okay for 100k miles, I hope they were just ignorant that it needs to be changed at 60k and not being jerks.
Actually. it is every 105K miles...but...I assume that only the belt was changed. The 4 idlers, tensioner, and water pump also need changed. You are on borrowed time with them. If they all were changed at 100K you are still good to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts