Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '03 Forester with the SOHC 2.5 engine and an automatic transmission. It has 120K miles on it. There's no record of anyone doing a timing belt swap on it, so I plan to do it myself just to be safe. Problem is, I'm not sure which kit to buy. I see that one online retailer sells a TB kit that is specifically for the auto-trans Forester, but I can't imagine why an automatic would take a different kit from a manual. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
Feel free to PM some of our supporting vendors about prices for OEM parts to.
Supporting Vendors - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

The only difference I can think of at the moment is the manuals have a timing belt guide plate over the T-belt crank pulley where as the auto it is left out. However the two should be the same for every thing else.

There are a ton of T-belt threads with suggested/recommended parts list, hit up the search function to find them.

PS. welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2003 Forester
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Feel free to PM some of our supporting vendors about prices for OEM parts to.
Supporting Vendors - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

The only difference I can think of at the moment is the manuals have a timing belt guide plate over the T-belt crank pulley where as the auto it is left out. However the two should be the same for every thing else.

There are a ton of T-belt threads with suggested/recommended parts list, hit up the search function to find them.

PS. welcome to the board.
My mechanic has just informed me of the difference. There's a fitting for the oil cooler on the AT version of the water pump.

A related question--why does this kit come with four cam seals? Are the ones in the rear actually accessible? It looks like they'd be a pain to replace, plus they look like they're inside of the block!

·
Registered
91 Posts
My mechanic has just informed me of the difference. There's a fitting for the oil cooler on the AT version of the water pump.

A related question--why does this kit come with four cam seals? Are the ones in the rear actually accessible? It looks like they'd be a pain to replace, plus they look like they're inside of the block!
Perhaps it is for the DOHC:biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts