Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought my first Subaru Forester a couple of weeks ago and love it. My previous 3 cars were manual transmission VW Jettas. I got an AT Forester (2010 2.5X Premium). I do a lot of traveling on muddy forest roads and backroads in winter. The AWD and higher ground clearance were my major reasons for getting the Forester. Ohio's forest roads that are open to the public are all well graveled and they pose nothing to make a Subaru break a sweat, but I have some trips planned where I'll definitely get the most out of it.

I have rented a lot of AT vehicles over the years, but have never owned one. I was just wondering how often the AT owners out there use the sport shift and when.

Here are some photos of the new Forester from today in SE Ohio. THe car is the Sage Green, but it looks more blue in this overcast.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Nice! Sage green is awesome. I don't own a new one but I sell them, and I feel that qualifies me to speak about the sport shift, haha. I think the ability to shift gears is kinda hokey, but tapping the lever to the left to put it into Sport/automatic mode definitely has advantages when you're merging or need some passing power.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
I use sport shift quite often, its nice when going up or coming down steep hills. I don't think its hokey at all.. It works good.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
I use sport shift quite often, its nice when going up or coming down steep hills. I don't think its hokey at all.. It works good.
Totally understandable. Perhaps "hokey" was a harsh word. I'm just not big on using automatic transmissions to slow the vehicle down. I'd rather just put more wear on the brakes since they're cheaper to service.

In terms of acceleration, I just don't notice a difference in putting the lever to the left and letting the car react versus putting lever to left and downshifting. But to each his own!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,719 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your Forester purchase! Nice looking Forester, thanks for posting pictures. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum from central MA. Your car looks fantastic against that woodsy background, definitely Forester terrain. Do you get much snow in them thar hills?
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2010 FXT 4EAT
86 Posts
Welcome.

I love sport shift, as the standard shift logic never seems to downshift fast enough when I'm wanting to accelerate out of a corner, having the advantage to select my gear ahead of time means that as soon as I touch the gas again I'm actually in the gear I want as opposed to having to wait for the transmission to notice I'm requesting acceleration and select the proper gear for me.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium AT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have another question about the sport shift. Let's say you're diving around a hilly area. Should I just leave the car in the sports shift mode the whole time, or should I just move it over for each and every hill that I come to? Does it make a difference? The manual isn't very clear about it. The manual in general looks like it was translated from Japanese.

To answer a few questions - I live in central OH where it is pretty flat. Yes we do get snow here and I'm looking forward to it this year. I also travel up north a lot to Michigan including the UP.

Who says that Subarus are homely cars? I think they look great!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts