Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Limited Venetian Red Pearl
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time Toyota owner here,but the wife and I went car shopping for a replacement vehicle lately and we test drove a few different cars and ended up purchasing a 2017 Forester 2.5i Limited with 32,000 miles.
My 2009 Matrix Awd is nearing 250,000 miles on it and still going but we figuired perhaps we have gotten the best out of it and were ready to update.We also have a 2008 Rav4. We looked at the newer Rav4's but both liked the looks of the Subaru Forester the best. We test drove a 2020 Forester Limited also,but liked the 2017 model the most. I asked lots of questions(internet search) on this " new to us" Forester and most times this site came up. This is our first Subaru also.
Purchased this Forester last weekend. Figured I would join this forum.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,015 Posts
I think you made a good choice. But just out of curiosity what did you like better about the 2017 over the 2020.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you made a good choice. But just out of curiosity what did you like better about the 2017 over the 2020.
First I would like to note that these are my wife and my-self's perception and It may be influenced by similarity's with our current vehicles as for placement etc. The 2020 Limited has so much electronics,functions,knobs,switches it seemed to be a bit confusing(or at least intimidating) but I would likely get used to it much easier than my non tech savvy wife.
I did like the dual zone climate control. My wife didn't like the dash colors or two tone seat colors as well as the 2017's solid colors and gloss black accents.The 2020 had push button start,start/stop etc and we weren't too keen on those.
The 2020 hood and front fender are raised a bit higher when compared to the 2017 causing a bit of visibility issue that was noticed by my wife due to her short stature. I didn't have the same complaint. We both thought the 2017 was a bit more responsive power wise,but that may be because the 2020 wasn't broken in. We both liked the 2020's much flatter floor with the rear seats folded down compared to the 2017's floors stepped up appearance but it wasn't a deal breaker. We both felt the 2017 had more comfortable seats although not by much.
The 2020's power lift gate is much faster moving to the point where when it gives the warning beep,you better get your body out of the way quickly or it will hit you.Some may like it or if your older and dont move as quick you may prefer the slower speed of the 2017 power lift gate. We preferred the slower speed of the 2017. In the end either year Forester would have done the trick. We both loved the Quartz Blue and the Crimson red colors along with the Venetian red on the 2017.

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
@Avnut welcome to the forums!

You will find a lot of information here that probably has been already asked once or four times. 😉 Our search engine is fairly accurate when trying to narrow down those minute items too...

C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Welcome everyone.
ForesterBill-Noticed where you are from. I have family in Green Valley and I will be moving there when I retire in a few short years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since I am new to a Subaru,I learn more about the Forester every day. I found it had Navigation system,voice actuation etc. The instrument cluster has very nice illumination at night. This Forester does not have eyesight. I believe it was a option?
I added aero crossbars,cargo tray,rear seat protector,cargo net,body side moldings door edge guards.
I am impressed with how well positioned things are in the engine compartment like dip stick,filler openings etc Most maintenance items should be relatively easy except for spark plugs. I likely have changed plugs on worse.
Any one know how many radio options were available and how to tell them apart?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it appears this Forester is a 2.5i limited CVT with option #22 Nav,HK upgrade sound system.
Now if I can just figure everything out on this system. LOL
HeyChris-That is an excellent site for information. Thanks

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,015 Posts
Most maintenance items should be relatively easy except for spark plugs.
Yep, spark plugs are a PIA on a Subaru boxer engine. If you plan on doing your own oil changes, you may want to "upgrade" to this 17mm head drain plug:
Many DIYers, and shops, have found that the dinky factory 14mm head drain plug is easily damaged/rounded.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Limited CVT
205 Posts
I have a 17 Limited, too. White. I love the car.

Last Monday I had the passenger seat airbag switch recall taken care of and they let me drive a 2020 as a loaner. The 2020 was a great car, but it would take time to get used to all the bells and whistles. Like you, I picked the Limited without Eyesight to keep the electronics simple. In hindsight I might have wanted Eyesight.

I'd recommend doing a search for the various TSB's and any recalls to see if they apply to you. I had an annoying jerk or "pause" issue and also something with the electronics that shut off Xmode and some other features. They were easy software update fixes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 17 Limited, too. White. I love the car.

Last Monday I had the passenger seat airbag switch recall taken care of and they let me drive a 2020 as a loaner. The 2020 was a great car, but it would take time to get used to all the bells and whistles. Like you, I picked the Limited without Eyesight to keep the electronics simple. In hindsight I might have wanted Eyesight.

I'd recommend doing a search for the various TSB's and any recalls to see if they apply to you. I had an annoying jerk or "pause" issue and also something with the electronics that shut off Xmode and some other features. They were easy software update fixes.
I took your advice and searched for recalls although I was pretty confident they were taken care of since we got the Forester from a dealer last month. Its all up to date.
Yesterday I updated the Navigation map SD card. Funny thing is when I put the SD card in my laptop it showed the map info was from 2015. Anyway it current now.
Since getting the Forester,I installed seatback protector,cargo tray,cargo bag,cargo net,body side moldings,door edge guards(on the front doors) etc. I am considering wheel arch moldings to help protect it from all the idiots in the parking lots. 99% of the dings and dents in our Toyotas were caused by people that just dont care. They fling their door open and smack your car and then take off. In all the more we drive the Forester the better we like it. We have so far avoided taking the Forester into town.

·
Super Moderator
1,868 Posts
I updated my Nav Maps many years ago from `09 version to `15.....

There are quite a few roads which do not exist on the navigation that I drive on all the time... And those were constructed two years before that maps were updated. :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts