Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
09 FORESTER 2.5x, 5sp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1.
Very different and contradictionary impression I had today, trading in my 02 to a new Forester. New one runs great and quiet, looks outstanding, but after I brought it home I realized that it is actually completely different vehicle, it is not the old Forester. Visibility, interior materials durability, unique look and ride were sacrificed.
Feels like I lost an old friend but bought a new car.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Do not be so quick to dismiss your new foz as a friend. You will love the things that
make it better than your old ride. Take it for a nice ride. Perhaps off road

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome!

I know how you feel. That was my impression when I took a test drive (out of curiosity) of one of the first of the SH series Foresters in 2009. It made me hope that my 2003 SG Forester will last forever!

You forgot to mention garish interior lighting.

But that's what you're driving, and here's the place to get the very best advice on its care and feeding.

Start by providing an honest to goodness geographical location in your profile. The more fine-grained, the better! This is helpful to all of us in suggesting local sources of parts and service (and offering personal help). The next thing that would be useful is to put the vital info about your Forester into your signature. Year, model, and transmission type should do it. That lets us do a better job targeting our answers to any of your questions, and it makes it so that you don't have to remember to include this info in the text of your posts if you’re asking for assistance or advice. You can get to both signature and profile by pulling down Quick Links from the tan bar above.

In case you haven't already come across it, we've got a great FAQ sort of thread called Common problems, need your help! that everybody ought to become familiar with. It will point you to some of the best posts on how to deal with a lot of the more common situations you might encounter. And also look at the stickies up at the top of each forum's listings for answers to many of the most significant aspects of owning a Forester. Start with the stickies here at the New Member Introductions forum for info about Foresters in general and about how this place works.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Me and my friend took an 09 out when his 06 was in for service. Its certainly not the same as the old foresters, but it is a pretty nice CUV. It was incredibly smooth over the broken pavement/gravel roads around here that make the SG gen foresters feel like they're going to fall apart.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,248 Posts
...Visibility ...
Visibility use to be used in the Subaru sales promos/brochures. That is one of my pet peeves. Styling has trumped practicality on most cars today, including ours.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
Yes, I remember being utterly astounded by the visibility when I took my 2003 out for its test drive. With the mirrors properly adjusted there's no blind spot, and there's peripheral vision just about everywhere.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester XS
167 Posts
When i test drove the SH i realised the Forester lost its character :icon_frown: Its no longer the nice, happy, carlike wagon, it has transformed into a soft and wobbly SUV ... I like the old genaration better and i'm keeping it till Subaru get something better . . . if they ever do :tissue:

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
When i test drove the SH i realised the Forester lost its character :icon_frown: Its no longer the nice, happy, carlike wagon, it has transformed into a soft and wobbly SUV ... I like the old genaration better and i'm keeping it till Subaru get something better . . . if they ever do :tissue:

Traded the wife's 08 for a 10 and that's exactly how I feel about it.
I like the interior and has more room,especially in the back seat but the 08 handled way better. Even my 01 is better in that regard.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
I felt similarly when I moved from my 98 Forester to an 09 N/A Outback. I immediately regretted getting rid of my tried and true old friend.

That disappeared when I got the 09 OBXT. The OBXT has very much a similar character to all of the old Subarus that I'd grown to love. It took a little while, but driving it is like driving an old friend... with automatic climate control.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
I purchased a new 09 on May 3, 2008, I liked it so much I purchased a second one for my wife.

If it wasn't for the larger size and better rear leg room, 4" I believe. I would not have purchased a Forester.

I'm not saying one year is better or worse than another. It's the size that mattered most. I think I've heard that somewhere before. :icon_biggrin:

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
2010 is my first Forester and I absolutely love it.
Same here. Oh, it could use about 150 more horsepower, but I've felt that way about every vehicle I've ever owned. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Oh no.. not another one of these threads
after I brought it home I realized that it is actually completely different vehicle, it is not the old Forester. Visibility, interior materials durability, unique look and ride were sacrificed.
:shake:

I couldn't disagree with you more, I love the quick handling and smooth ride of the new suspension setup. Sacraficed the visability..? no idea what your talking about here... the thing is all windows... Unique looks? please.... :puke: thank god they changed the way it looked.. or I and many other's may have never even have considered it.

Feels like I lost an old friend but bought a new car.
Well Duh! isn't that exactly what you did..
If its such a disappointment maybe you should trade it in on an older model. Didn't you test drive it before you bought it ?

·
Registered
09 FORESTER 2.5x, 5sp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New look is very similar to RAV4, Chevy, CRV, Saturn and many many others with similar models, that is why I used word unique in my previous thread. My new Forester looks and handles just great, but I would like to see some old features (VISIBILITY and more durable interior materials) in the new one. Well, trading in my old friend added some bitterness to my appreciation of a new Forester.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
New look is very similar to RAV4, Chevy, CRV, Saturn and many many others with similar models, that is why I used word unique in my previous thread. My new Forester looks and handles just great, but I would like to see some old features (VISIBILITY and more durable interior materials) in the new one. Well, trading in my old friend added some bitterness to my appreciation of a new Forester.
I feel the visibility in the new ones is still quite good and it still has the huge rear window. Compared to most other models in this market, the forester is practically a glass bubble! The D-pillars on most newer models are enormous. As much as I loved the unique styling of older subarus, the newer models appeal to a much broader market, which subaru really needs to continue developing new models. This has been pretty successful considering how well subaru has done while most others have been flailing.

The models have definitely shifted a bit. I'd say the impreza hatch and outback sport are closer to what the forester had been, the new forester is closer to what the outback had been targetting, and the outback is targeting people who would have gone for the 5 seat tribeca. I'm hoping that they bring something smaller to market, a little 2 door hatch would be great. Would also be nice if they brought some different engines to market, especially something to compete with ford's new v6 twin turbo ecoboost (a twin turbo 3.6R legacy? please!). The SH forester should definitely get the 3.6 engine imo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts