Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a used OEM steering wheel for my 99. Mine is foam, so a leather wheel was going to be a nice easy mod. I got it all apart to find out the plug on the wire going directly to the charge is different. This is the wire about 2 inches long and goes from the yellow plug inside the wheel to the center of the charge. The charges are slightly different and are not interchangable. The wheels look almost identical, but the center sections are slightly different too. The one I bought is for an SF, but apparently not a 99. I hope I can find this wire somewhere. Now to figure out what year my new wheel is from...

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, mine has the pigtail. It looks like this is a no go then? I don't mind swapping plugs and things like that, but I don't want to splice airbag wires. Not to mention, I would probably have to find a whole clockspring to get the pigtail. Can I replace the clockspring in my 99 for a newer design so I get the correct plug?

·
The Modfather
8,063 Posts
I'm not sure about the clock spring. If the studs to the airbag charge are teh same you may be able to swap just the charge. doing that is iffy to me though but it's been done. I have pics on that in the links above (I think)

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The studs are not the same. Either I can change the clockspring on mine or install the wheel on my 04.

·
The Modfather
8,063 Posts
I'm not positive about this, but at some point the airbag deploy system changes form a single to double stage type. The charges may not be the same from year to year. I was too nervous to "Make something fit" in the end I went and got the right steering wheel that just plugged in. My thought was if insurance ever found out you tampered with the SRS system even if it really does not effect anything, they will find a way to weasel out of paying. Also, the only way to find out if it is working properly is to have an accident :)

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheel will be going into my 04. I'm not modifying my safety systems. But,,,,,,,, I put my old wheel back on after discovering the difference and everything went just fine. Horn worked, no lights, ect. I drove the car this morning and now the air bag light is on.:evilatyou: I HATE when I screw something up. I'll pull it aprt this weekend and figure it out. So much for an easy $30 wheel mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts