Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new springs arrived on Saturday... I've probably gained about a 3" lift over the WRX shocks that were on the car! :biggrin:

The fronts are currently sitting about 1/2" higher that the rears but that was measured just after fitting them so hopefully they'll even out as they settle - they already look a bit better this morning after driving to work.

The springs were custom made and since the manufacturer and I had to do a bit of guess work when designing them, we were/are expecting to need to do a bit of "fettling" to get them just right but I'm impressed at how good they are straight out of the box (we were aiming for stock ride height and we currently have about 1/2 lift).

The new springs rates are 204lb/in front and 145-175lb/in rear which really suit the KYB Excel-Gs. The ride is very smooth and settled (almost Jag-like) but still nice and flat through the corners. Steering geometry is being done today so I'll be able to give a better handling assessment after that but all good so far.

My aim was to improve the handling over stock whilst still maintaining ground clearance and ride comfort and I think I've definitely achieved that. So all in all, very pleased with the result - still some work to do to get it perfect but 95% there.

All I need now are the A/T tyres and diff guards and I'll be ready to hit Salisbury Plain!!!! :woohoo:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right then, I've taken some more measurements now that the springs have had a chance to settle for a couple of hundred miles.

The fronts are sitting at 437mm - which is exactly the ride height Subaru specify so extremely chuffed with that. The rears, however, are 411mm which is 24mm lower than the 435mm that Subaru specify but, it is just within the +12mm/-24mm tolerance they allow for... not bad really considering we needed to make a fair few assumptions in swapping from SLS to non-SLS and only having an non-SLS spring to go on! :biggrin:

The manufacturer has said they will adjust mine free of charge but it means being without the car for a few days while I send the springs up to them and they send the springs back to me so I may just order another pair of rears.

If I do, then I'd have a pair of lowered rear springs for sale - would anyone be interested in these? A new pair of lowered fronts would cost c£100 including VAT and delivery and I'd let you have the rears for £60 including delivery. To lower the car, you'd need non-SLS dampers if you don't already have them - these can be ordered from camskill.co.uk for c£230 - so a full set on new, lowered suspension would come in at less than £400.

Alternatively, the rears should work with SLS dampers to give stock ride height and combined with the same fronts that I have, you should see a big improvement in handling.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good call but I think I'd rather get the springs right first in case I want a strut lift later. Need to sort my ARB mounts before I do anything else though ;o)

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Nice. Custom made.. that's awesome.
How did you measure the car anyway? from ground and up the backside of the tires?

Edit: I just measured on the inside and I too have more ground clearance on the front. Anyway the rear will be a bit higher then now when driving I think because of bumps and gas struts. The front is always loaded from the engine weight. 1,5cm difference atm. but the ground is not very flat.

I wonder where Subaru measure the ground clearance on the car anyway....

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. Custom made.. that's awesome.
How did you measure the car anyway? from ground and up the backside of the tires?

Edit: I just measured on the inside and I too have more ground clearance on the front. Anyway the rear will be a bit higher then now when driving I think because of bumps and gas struts. The front is always loaded from the engine weight. 1,5cm difference atm. but the ground is not very flat.

I wonder where Subaru measure the ground clearance on the car anyway....
Measured from the wheel centre to the wheel arch lip... I have a PDF with the specs and "where to measure" on it - I have a feeling it may have come from don1952?

I think the sills are supposed to sit level but given the tolerances quoted in the PDF, if the fronts were at +12mm (max tolerance) and the rears were -24mm (min tolerance), you could have a 36mm difference front to rear and still be within spec.

Doesn't seem to affect the handling - it's more of an aesthetic thing for me so I may get taller springs in the future but as I've just broken a rear ARB mount and I have a new turbo and decat pipe to fit before having my map adjusted at the end of this month, as well as having ordered my AT/S tyres yesterday, funds are a little tight at the moment to say the least. ;o)

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
The way you measure it it will be less on the rear anyway. The wheel arch is smaller in the rear then on the front you know.
Too bad about the rear ARB m8. :icon_sad:

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way you measure it it will be less on the rear anyway. The wheel arch is smaller in the rear then on the front you know.
Too bad about the rear ARB m8. :icon_sad:
True, I was meaning that the sill would be 36mm higher at the front than the rear if the front was +12mm and the rear was -24mm - wheel centers to wheel arch would be different due to the different size, as you mention.... this also assumes that the sills sit level when the front and rear ride heights are at the exact specified value though.

I consider the ARB mounts as a badge of honour... have ordered the new ones now - £35 for both sides so not too bad :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts