Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some cheapy speakers, they arrived this morning.
In Phase XTW6 240W Mid Bass speakers - XTW6 from In Phase
They were slightly too large for the OEM cradle, so had to make up some that fitted correctly.

I know it looks a little shonky, but they do the job.

Mmmm. Yellow. At least they are hidden behind the covers.They sound far better than the OEM ones which were...cardboard??? Not bad for 25 squids.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 WRX PPP Wagon Manual
153 Posts
Front or back?
Don't know much about ICE and need better sound so this looks like a good cheap upgrade. Will they work OK with OEM head unit?

·
Registered
99 stb
488 Posts
front, and any speaker will. just an oem unit wont power them very well and they wont sound as good as they cud

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
front, and any speaker will. just an oem unit wont power them very well and they wont sound as good as they cud
To be fair, the OEM unit doesn't power the standard ones very well either :biggrin:

If you can find any 2 ohm speakers, it'll make the OEM head unit's life easier when it comes to powering them.

When I get round to it, I'll be hacking some MDF to make spacers too - I think yours will look a look neater tham mine, deebom

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They were dead easy to install. I even used the wires and plug from the old speakers. On the subject of speakers, I want some tweeters but the only OEM ones I can find are the ones that fit behind the mirrors on later models. I asked about tweeters on a different forum and started going on about filters and such. Can I just plug some tweeters straight in? Or do I need 'Filters'?

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course, when I say 'filters' I mean 'high pass filters'.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Of course, when I say 'filters' I mean 'high pass filters'.
Most tweater kits will come with HFPs. If not, Maplin will doubtless do some cheaply - there's not much too them, they're just a capacitor (or resistor?) soldered across the terminals IIRC.

Since the tweaters can't reproduce the lower frequencies, they're not 100% needed but it should sound a bit better if you use some.

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The OEM size is 6 and half inches, So thats what I bought. But either the speakers were slightly too large or the OEM mounts are slightly too small.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
Nice work dude ;)!
Does anyone know if the spacers needed for an 06 car are the same as these?
Can I just replace the door speaker (and if so what kind of speaker should I be looking at?) and leave the OEM tweeter in place?
I guess there is already a filter in the door since my car has OEM tweeters?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
Nice work dude ;)!
Does anyone know if the spacers needed for an 06 car are the same as these?
Can I just replace the door speaker (and if so what kind of speaker should I be looking at?) and leave the OEM tweeter in place?
I guess there is already a filter in the door since my car has OEM tweeters?
No filters, the tweeters are just supplemental (unless they have a built in filter?)

The spacers are a different shape for the SG.

Back in the "old days" (pre06), HerbXT did a good writeup which I printed off and used for my own upgrade.

His spacers where 3/4" MDF and he fitted 6.5" speakers, replaced the stock tweeters and fitted a matching crossover in the doorpanel below the window switches.

I've scanned in his pictures........................

Attachments

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
I was keen to see if there were tweeters in behind the grilles on my late SF5 by the door hnadles. Sadly not. Interestingly the brochure doesn't list them as an option, or an upgrade.

Were any UK SFs fitted with tweeters from factory?!

Mike

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
I was keen to see if there were tweeters in behind the grilles on my late SF5 by the door hnadles. Sadly not. Interestingly the brochure doesn't list them as an option, or an upgrade.

Were any UK SFs fitted with tweeters from factory?!

Mike
not everything in the brochure...............:biggrin:

Door Mounted Front Tweeter Kit

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Thanks Don.
Why are the tweeters fitted on the window triange? I was told by an ICE shop that the tweeter has to be fitted as close to the woofer as possible for best sound.
If that is the case, I could buy some speakers e.g. Nakamichi SP-C652 6.5 inch speakers - SP-C652 from Nakamichi with built-in tweeters and also leave the OEM tweeters in place?
I don't want to have remove the door card/mess with crossovers and tweeters unless I have to and was just thinking of replacing the door speakers and leaving the OEM tweeters in place.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Thanks Don.
Why are the tweeters fitted on the window triange? I was told by an ICE shop that the tweeter has to be fitted as close to the woofer as possible for best sound..

Technically true if you are after the best possible stereo image, but in a car it matters zip !
There's so much other **** going on that's going to kill any hope a decent image like you would get from a home setup, that tweeters are generally mounted high up so you can actually hear them.

Woofers/mid-range need more air around them (and to move) hence why they generally sit lower down.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Technically true if you are after the best possible stereo image, but in a car it matters zip !
There's so much other **** going on that's going to kill any hope a decent image like you would get from a home setup, that tweeters are generally mounted high up so you can actually hear them.

Woofers/mid-range need more air around them (and to move) hence why they generally sit lower down.
I see.
Would I be OK just upgrading the main speakers with any 2-way coax speaker?
e.g. Infinity Ref6522i 6.5" 180 Watt 2 Way Coax Speakers - REF6522i from Infinity
Are they plug and play?
So I would have 4 tweeters effectively since I wouldn't touch the OEM ones.

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
So I would have 4 tweeters effectively since I wouldn't touch the OEM ones.
I wouldn't have 2 sets of tweeters in different locations though. That really will shag things up - be like having surround sound with the delay set incorrectly. Music just isn't designed for that.

I would spend your money on door speakers WITHOUT tweeters if you have them elsewhere, and get better ones instead.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts

The human ear is very good at perceiving directionality for high frequencies. It's less good with lower frequencies. High frequencies are also absorbed more easily than low frequencies - hence why you can put a sub in the boot and still hear it.

Having the tweaker mounted higher up in the car "lifts" the sound stage and improves stereo imaging and frequency separation.

As NDS says, because of all the other noise, vibrations, acoustic inefficiencies etc within a car, you get less aural degradation by putting the mid range speakers further away from the ear where there is space for bigger cones than you do restricting cone size and movement in trying to position them closer to the ear.

As far as using co-axial speakers goes, if they're decent quality like the Infinitys, then yes, you'll get a big improvement over OEM and no, similar priced component speakers probably won't sound better.

If you can afford Infinity Kappas rather than the Reference series, then so much the better as they have more efficient cross-overs, better cones etc. I ran some co-axial 16cm Infinity Kappas in my previous WRX (with OEM tweaters disconnected) and they sounded great.

The component version would have been better but they were the best I could afford at the time and they were a lot better than the cheaper component speakers I could have afforded. In fact, I still have them and will be fitting them to my FXT as and when I get the time (MY03 FXT so no tweaters anyway).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts