Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was lucky enough to get 4 new stereo speakers for my (2007) Forester for Christmas. Can't wait to try 'em out!

Does anyone have advice on how hard it would be to install them myself? I am not worried about connecting them, but it looks like the interior door panels would each have to come off to access the speaker area. Are the door panels hard to remove? Am I likely to break off any plastic parts if I start yanking on them?!

Thank you very much for any thoughts.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
The door panels on the forester are very easy to take off. Pop off the trim arounf the door handle, Remove the screw in the arm rest. Gently pry the panel with the window switch and door lock button off and disconnect the wire connectors. Then starting from the bottom of the panel gently pry it off releasing the clips and work you way to the top. Then pull it straight up to release the lip next to the window.

You will need to drill new holes for the speakers. The rear speaker hole is so oddly shapped that I used the rear speaker (the body of the speaker is plastic) as a bracket buy removing the speaker cone and placing the new speaker in the hole where theold speaker cone was and screwing it in. You will need to cut the factory wire clips off and soulder the ones that came with the new speakers on and heat shrink or tape. I would stay away from wire nuts since there is moisture in the door sometimes and can corrode.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new speakers are Kenwood 6 and 1/2" speakers for the front, 4" for the rear. The guy at Best Buy said they were the right size for a 2007 Forester, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will fit in the same space exactly.

Thank you so much for the explanation of how to take the door apart and everything. I am printing it out right now!

I think I should give it a try, as soon as it stops snowing, freezing, and snowing some more. Hopefully this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts