Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the forester x. I have added the factory tweeters and a Clarion CX400 HU. These 2 upgrades alone have made my experience so much better, but still looking for more.

I am not interested in adding an amp or subs.

What I am interested in is upgrading the front and rear speakers in a way that will provide me with a much richer sound experience and also provide a bit more bass, without having to install a sub. So 2 good combo pairs.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I am also planning on doing the 5-door sound deadoning to my ride at the same time. Looking forward to the final results.

Thanks

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
I'm a huge fan on Infinity. I've been running them for years and they've never let me down in audio quality, nor performance.

I'm currently running Infinity Reference speakers in my Foz. If you want to go high-end, the Infinity Kappa or Kappa Perfects are a great choice. I would run components up front (separate woofer and tweeter). Replace the factory tweeters with the Infinity ones (they fit right in to the factory spots, so everything looks factory). Run it all with a good, clean amplifier. (I'm running an old, but great Alpine Flex-5 which is a 4-channel amp with subwoofer drive). You can find them on eBay for pretty cheap as it's a great amp for it's size.

For the subwoofer, I'm running an Infinity Reference 10" sub in a VERY small box (which it's designed for), and it sounds perfect. I listen to anything from Rock, Electronic, Classical, Jazz, Orchestral, Epica, etc. and it all sounds very good from these speakers.

I'm sure others will chime in with their brand preferences as well. Good luck. I have some good websites where I purchase my equipment from for extremely cheap prices, PM me and I'll shoot you over the address.

Josh.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
If your on budget, Alpine Type S components or coaxials would work great. I've got the stock tweeters, alpine type S coaxials in the front, and the Alpine type S components (speaker + tweeters) in the back. They put out a lot more bass than typical oem/aftermarket speakers but maintain the mids and highs as well. But don't expect it to blow you away... By no means are they 12" sub replacements haha :biggrin: Overall, I think for the $70-$80 they are great.

As for the Infinity's, I hear they lack a lot of bass but are real rich in the mids and highs.

Check my Mod Journal if you want, speaker installs and such are all documented in there for my 09.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
+1 on sound deadening.

With just HU power, I'd look for speakers with high sensitivity; and with no sub, I'd look for speakers with good low end response.

If you are keeping the stock tweeters, it might be tough trying to matching woofers.

I would also suggest just use front speakers and ditch the rears.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
What size are you guys running for your door speakers? I have seen most at 5-1/4" to 6-1/2".

Dave

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
For a 2010 you can run 6.5" front and rear. Get a component set up front and a coaxial set for the back. Polk DB series speakers and Infinilty refernece speakers are two of the more popular choices with members here. You may need spacers though if you choose a speaker that is too deep for the door.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
I upgraded to Polks in the front and it made a nice difference, I also did the sound proofing (Raammat BXT II) suggested by the other members here which really made the ride quieter and improved the experience all the way around. I did the tailgate when I added a rear view camera and it also made a difference.. without question if you open up the doors to upgrade the speakers spend the extra time and do the sound proofing, it's totally worthwhile. When you shut the drivers door it feels sooo much more solid than it does stock - no rattles at all.

·
Registered
09 Forester X
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the responses.

I will do some research on Alpine Type S Components and coaxials, Infinity refernece , Polk DB series.

Sounds like 6 1/2" should be fine, but to keep an key out for depth. Anyone know what the limit there is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Cerreta just did a great write up of him putting his speakers in his "SH" called Subio. He measured out 4" from front door to speaker cut out for depth, but 1.75" when the window was down. Nothing a few spacers couldn't fix.

Dave

·
Registered
09 Forester 2.5X
704 Posts
Azn, link your sound deadening/speaker install. You will need some brackets. However, DO NOT DRILL INTO THE PANEL. The brackets are a cheapo plastic and you can create new holes in the bracket itself with a screw driver. Line up two of the holes with the stock location then put a hole in the bracket where the third stock hole is.

I picked up some MB Quarts (found in the bargin alley here) awhile back. I like em. They are components so I got the speaker, tweeter and crossover for under 80 bucks, I think.

Oh, I too, upgraded my head unit and added stock tweeters. They were AWESOME at first, but then I wanted more, so I bought the component. And now...ugh...I want a sub and amp to fill in the lows. Hello, my name is Mike and I'm addicted to my car.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
Azn, link your sound deadening/speaker install.
Heres the link to my dynamat walkthrough...

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/dynamating-09-10-w-pics-66441/

And heres a link to a speaker install for the 09/10s.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/09-10-rear-door-speaker-install-walkthrough-60114/

If anyone has any questions on speaker/dynamat work, feel free to PM me... I've taken apart my doors millions of times that I could take them apart in my sleep. :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts