Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After patching the same tire for the third time this month (Wilma recovery construction is killing me), it was time for new rubber.
A new set of Bridgestone Potenza G009s in 225/60/16 did the trick.
Feels like new again! You can't appreciate how bad a POS those Geosqueelers are until you invest in new tires.
Unfortunately, I have to wait for the spare to get changed out.
They only had 4 in stock. I'd better not catch another flat before then.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's a pretty beefy tire. Do you have pics of them on the car?

Edit... just realized they are 16s. Anyway, if you have a pic... post.:)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do when we get back from Dallas.
First impressions (after ~1300 miles):
Great handling, slightly louder road noise, slight decrease in MPG.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
You can't appreciate how bad a POS those Geosqueelers are until you invest in new tires.
I believe it. It rained earlier and the car did a 4 wheel slide while passing on the outside of a 25 MPH bend. Looks cool for the folks watching from behind, but loosing grip and forward momentum goes against what FXT are all about in the first place.

I take it these Potenzas do well in the wet?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
They are very good in the wet. Haven't had a lot of time in the rain but during the occasional monsoon in So.Cal. they perform well. No hydroplaning and very predictable breakaway. Not bad for a $75 420 durometer rated tire. Probably last for 50K miles. They are quite a bit wider than the Geos too in 215/60-16.

Dry handling is decent. Hard to say because I run on Pilot Sports most of the time so I just cruise it long distance with the 16s.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring CVT
1,349 Posts
I have 225/60/16 G009s on my Grand Prix GTP. They are a fantastic tire in the snow. I am probably overconfident with the car in the winter with these tires. The vehicle seems nearly invinceble.

A side note: on dry days, you can actually see smoke rolling off of them from the drivers seat when the gas is used too generously.

Aside from that, the tires grip as good as any I have had on the car in dry so far.

For the price, they are what to buy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The slight decrease in fuel economy is to be expected with the increased rolling resistance of the wider tire even in the stock size - about 1 - 2 mpg penalty compared to the Geo's - speed dependent. I've run the 215/60 G009's approx. 16k at 36 psi so far & they are a very good performer as an All-Season tire in the dry, wet, gravel, dirt & snow - especially for the price. Wear so far is surprisingly negligible considering its performance capabilities. There is an increase in road noise & they have a tendency to take a set overnight but roll smooth within a mile or so. Unless you really push your XT consistently near the limit or track it, the G009's, IMO, are a good choice & provide value.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Second impressions:
It was 25 friggin degrees here (Dallas) today with freezing rain.
I watched a lot of folks sliding around, but the Bridgestones held just fine.
Not even a hint of traction loss.
That makes two thumbs up so far.
I expect a third thumb (?) when we hit the rains back home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts