Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks to TAGXT04 and others for taking one for the team! with all the tips, etc. I hacked my grill and its done :) I think I'll switch the grill out for something thicker in the future so it doesnt look so transparent.

thanks to Jamie at genuinesubaruparts for the STi badge, fast shipping and a great asset to the Foz and Subaru community.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
wow!

Very clean, adds are really nice touch to your subaru

I just need to find some grille mods for the sf now!

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Great job... And you were able to do it without repainting right? I think I'll need to add an STi badge to mine now.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Looks awesome man! I will also pile on regarding the question of what kind of mesh you used, and where you acquired it? I have seen similar material (roll of gutter covering) that works great on small/narrow openings, but the Forester grill opening is pretty large.

I would love to see a step-by-step breakdown of what needed to be done to mod your grill.

Jeff

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
teh mesh is expensive but its aluminum. I got it from kragen auto parts but its available at Pep Boys aswell. Made by "APC" and its like $30 :(

I did find an industrial metal supply company by my house that sells 48" square sheets of mesh in all different designs, honeycomb, squares, etc.

If I do another one of these (dizizjake asked me to do his) then I'll take pics step by step.

I did manage to do this w/o painting, the only part that the dremel cutting wheel went too far on was in the 4th pic down, you can see the cut line...I left the clip housings intact and need to mask of and paint them black so you cant see them through the mesh. I can tell because I did it but to the naked eye, you'll never notice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
cool!

I look forward to instructions, because it looks like you didn't have to fiberglass either...

I will see what you come up with... then try it out... and I'll probably also remove the chrome... ;)

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
DOHCammin said:
I think I'll switch the grill out for something thicker in the future so it doesnt look so transparent.
Looking good DOHCammin. I'm waiting for someone to source some material that's closer to what the FSTi comes with. It's thicker and more substantial than what i've seen so far.

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DanzBorin said:
cool!

I look forward to instructions, because it looks like you didn't have to fiberglass either...

I will see what you come up with... then try it out... and I'll probably also remove the chrome... ;)
I basically cut around the four mounting clips that are on either side. I cut teh mesh around the mounting tabs and used the screws that attach the chrome to hold the mesh down.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
DOHCammin said:
I basically cut around the four mounting clips that are on either side. I cut teh mesh around the mounting tabs and used the screws that attach the chrome to hold the mesh down.
^^yes, easy and as hard as that...don't forget the zipties to tie down the bottom side.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
DOHCammin said:
time, patience and about 3 hours of labor!
Yes, patience is the key...I often had to praise God a few times to calm myself (especially after jamming some cut mesh into my finger)...seems to work better than cursing.;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts