Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SQ5 ZF8
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 forester 6mt with the stock Geolander G91's. The geolanders are terrible on snow and slippery surfaces. However, I may be a little biased since I have always ran winter tires. I sold MY02 OBS this summer for which I had a set of Altimax artics which were wonderfull especially for the price. Anway, with the new forester the old snow tires were not the correct size and I thought I could get away without them. I could not stand the stock tires after all of this snow in Chicago the last week so I ordered a set of Tires/Wheels. I wanted another set of Altimax arctics but, TireRack did not have them in stock. I went with four 205/65-17 firestone winterforce tires which are fairly inexpensive mounted on a set of "Special Edition A7" alloy wheels. I also had a set of TPMS sensors installed as well. Received the wheels and installed them and used the ATEQ Quickset to transfer the sensor ID's (since the 2014 forester is not listed you have to use a 2013 impreza). Swap went well and no tire light. The traction is worlds better than the 91's so I am happy. Sure there are better winter tires out there but, any dedicated winter tire will be better than stock. The noise is about the same as stock as well.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
202 Posts
I just did the exact same thing for the same reason.
Same tire from Tirerack, slightly different choice of wheels/rims, but very similar.
Tirerack actually shipped the tires in 26 hours from order placement to arriving at my door!

[/rant on]I am not happy that the TPMS system requires me to buy the transmitters AND pay to have it programmed or pay for an expensive device to do it myself. Seems like a scam to keep people from being able to do any self service.
Since the TPMS transmits a code it should be possible for the car to do a reset with nothing else, like a bluetooth pairing, rather than soaking us for $[/rant off]

·
Registered
2015 SQ5 ZF8
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just purchased a ATEQ quickset from Amazon. Read the factory sensor codes, connected to my computer and enter the TireRack provided codes (they have them on file if you lose them) and I can switch back and forth very easily. I wish we has had a self programming feature or a TPMS computer that could hold 8 codes.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
202 Posts
Just purchase a ATEQ quickset from Amazon. Read the factory sensor codes, connect to your computer and enter the TireRack provided codes (they have them on file if you lose them) and you can switch back and forth very easily.
Yeah, I understand how it can be done, but $150 for a uni-tasker tool is pretty steep. Especially since I now have only one car with TPMS; perhaps when I get a newer car for the wife it might make more sense.

·
Registered
2015 Forester I-Premium 6MT
2,362 Posts
if you say the noise level is the same between the dry road queen oem tires and the beefy winterforce.. I'd say that reflects more on the greatly increased attention to NVH the 2014 forester had vs previous models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts