Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
I think you'll like them, I have non-studded and loved them last winter. Got to say that I love driving in snowy conditons and these tires did not let me down.

·
Registered
2010 Forester X
22 Posts
ordered these from tire rack

General Altimax Arctic

i ordered them with some steel rims so i dont have to keep getting them mounted

oh and they are studded ... this will be a good winter lol. :woohoo:
I just put 4 of these on Monday, they were my pick with the help of great info right here & Tire Racks high rating. Only Wet roads so far & very very stable, noise is just a dab louder to be expected, handles no differently, I feel zero squishy squashy feel while on zig zag roads. Love the aggressive look..... I feel that these tires will make the Foz a perfect winter package with these extreme shoes on it and coupled wth the awesome AWD system.....

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
finally getting shipped (the rims were back ordered apparently)
Indeed. I placed my Tire Rack order for a studless winter tire & wheel set on Oct. 12. I chose the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D in size 215/65R16 98H.

At that time, tires were in stock, but the 16x6.5 ET50 5x100 black steel wheels were back ordered until Nov. 7. Yesterday's update for estimated wheel availability from the Delaware facility was Nov. 20. :icon_frown: However, as of this morning, the wheels must have recently arrived, because my order "has been released to the warehouse for shipping". :icon_cool:

Woo Hoo! I wasn't overly concerned about the delay, but I prefer to not have things hangin'. I also want to get my rebate claim submitted on time.

We've already ordered and received the same tire (size 205/65R15) for my wife's Honda Accord. Here's to looking forward to a winter with few surprises!

:woohoo: :Banane35:

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2008 2.5X Premium
16 Posts
I just picked up my set of General Altimax Arctics from my local tire guy (who happens to be a Tire Rack-recommended installer) and they look pretty aggressive. That picture doesn't really do them justice. Paid $85 per, and had them mounted on some great looking 04 XT rims bought form fellow SF.org member XTDude.

They're not going on the car for another few weeks, and I can't wait... :bananapowerslide:

The tire guy said that he's been selling a ton of these Arctics and people are raving about them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
ordered these from tire rack

General Altimax Arctic

i ordered them with some steel rims so i dont have to keep getting them mounted

oh and they are studded ... this will be a good winter lol. :woohoo:
Just askin': what did they charge for installing the tpms sensors? Or did they go w/out them?
Steve
09 2.5X

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
826 Posts
I was gonna do that, but TireRack's site says the 5x100 15" steelies aren't available! I guess I'll have to give them a call.

Edit: Nevermind. I see they have the steelies in 16" in stock now. I'll be ordering mine next week!

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I bought the Hankook. It has the identical tread pattern and I got them studded as well.

I should be getting mine today.

:)
I also got the Hankook 409 w/studds on Sat. Our local Les Schwab was having a grand opening sale because of their new building.. So was able to pick them up installed on my steel wheels for $60 less than the best price any where else local.. But had to pay $520 us..

I do buy most of my tires from Les Schwab as they rotate them free.. Rebalance free and mount them on the car in winter and remove them free in spring as long as you own them.. They also rotate any tires they sell for free plus fix flats free.. So pay a couple extra bucks but they will do that at any Les Schwab any were and as we travel the north western states a lot its worked out well for us..

I have run the General before and liked the tread so went with the almost same tread.. They seem to work great in all conditions so wanted to go with the same tread again...

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ok so here is the photo progression of the install

^The Studs^

^on the forester wash rinse and repeat 3 more times^

*some notes*

make sure to tighten the lugs in a star pattern

the tires give the forester about a 1 inch lift over the stock lol that is an inexpensive lift kit :Banane28:

these tires are directional so make sure the arrow points towards the front of the car or your grip wont work right :puke:

oh and the jack point are not very obvious ... i was kind of surprised at this *shrug oh well it got the job done if your not sure about your jack use jack stands after it up in the air that is the safest way to do it !!

the tires hum a little at highway speed but its not bad at all, had to turn the radio off and open the window to hear it, and the studs are not that loud from inside the vehicle.

and i drove to a Stewarts about 2 miles from the house to check the pressure and get it up to where i like it (it was about 30ish from the package)

no wobble so the ballance job was good

ill give testing reports when its snowy!!

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I purchased a jack that has enough lift to get my FXT off the ground. Try looking for a sale. Mine has 20+ inches of lift.
+1
I also got a problem and invested in a jack that can lift around 50cm.
Only drawback in my case is that it weights near 38kg :huh:

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I purchased a jack that has enough lift to get my FXT off the ground. Try looking for a sale. Mine has 20+ inches of lift.
wood block will have to do for now ... but i may do that in the future

oh and the whole thing took about an hour from taking the wheels and tires out of the house to washing my hands after i was done

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Steelies

Nice thread, is there any reason you didn't get the wheel covers? Has anyone ever seen what they look like?

I'm looking at getting a set but dont really like the unfinished black look.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
Nice thread, is there any reason you didn't get the wheel covers? Has anyone ever seen what they look like?

I'm looking at getting a set but dont really like the unfinished black look.
I do not like the plain wheel look like you.. So picked up a set of stock steel spoke 16 inch wheels like on the 03-06 forester for our 09 Forester.. I just kept after the Suby dealer until some one had a set for $75. So now have my Winter tires mounted on the silver steel spoke wheels ..

The winter wheels on our 01 forester are stock steel 15 inch spoke wheels from a 99 Forester that I got for 100 bucks some years back.. I just like that look better..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

1 - 20 of 62 Posts