Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team-

I'm looking to upgrade my 19 Forester Touring from 225/55/18 tires and stock rims to 225/65/17 w/ motegi mr118 rims. My question is about the spare. Do you have to get a fifth wheel and tire and put it on roof or on a wilco tire holder? Or can you get buy w/ a patch kit? Can i use the dummy spare in a pinch? This is mainly for daily driving. If off-roading I'd imaging a fullsize spare is necessary. Thx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you have to get a fifth wheel and tire and put it on roof or on a wilco tire holder?
I'm planning to go roughly the same size (225/70R16 on a Premium) as you're asking about. Part of this plan is to have a matching spare and put it in the factory location. I haven't tested it yet, but I saw other markets have the '19 coming with a full-size spare. My hope is that with some careful manipulation of the stock foam piece that it will fit flush. I should get my vehicle Friday and the wheels are already at my local Discount Tire ready for Saturday so I hope to know soon if it'll work. I'd say that it might not be necessary to roof or hitch mount your spare, if it'll fit in the factory space. As for if you can use the current spare, even with the stock tire size, it's only for limited distance and MPH. I don't think you'd want to push it with an even bigger tire setup. At a minimum, carry a plug kit if you don't up-size your spare.

EDIT: 16" wheels do NOT fit the '19 Premium due to front rotor size and caliper contact.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
cool. let me know how it goes. would be great if it can fit in the spare spot.
The wheels & tires have been on hand for a couple of weeks now and I just got word my vehicle is at the dealer so I will indeed pick it up tomorrow. Unfortunately, I didn't think of making an appointment for the swap prior to receiving confirmation of my vehicle delivery. The shop is now booked Saturday with appointments but I may try to deal with it still as a walk-in. I should be able to confirm fitment over the weekend if all goes well.

·
Registered
19 Forester cvt
77 Posts
If you use a full size spare, you might want to throw it into regular, frequent rotation. It's said important to the long term health of the differentials to keep all the tires of the same size, including degree of wear. So basically if you get a flat tire and your set is warn, you should replace thme all. Having an unworn spare would be the same problem as putting an unworn tire into a set where the others are part-way down in the tred.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I ran into a little snag with my plans: The 16" wheel does NOT clear the front caliper on the Premium. Looks like I'll start shopping for 17s. To be continued...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Before taking a stock wheel off to test in the factory location, I created a cardboard version of a tire and tested different sizes. It's not exact but I tried to replicate the rounded edges of an actual tire instead of just leaving it squared off. The full 28.5" x 9" model to simulate a 225/65R17 looked to be a poor fit. When I scaled it down to the equivalence of a 215/65R17 (28" x 8.5"), that seemed to be the largest possible while still being able to keep it fully flush with the carpeted cargo floor on top. To further support that floor, the foam spare tire topper will require heavy modification.

I hadn't really considered the 215/65R17 as an option...until I saw the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is available in this size. My plan from the beginning was to get an AT tire with three-peak mountain/snowflake designation and not necessarily to go taller, or add a lift. The 225/70R16 I had been looking at was just a size I chose due to availability of tire options. My Xterra has the A/T3W on it and I went away from the 265/75R16 stock size to 235/85R16. I haven't noticed a performance difference due to the narrower tire. I think my decision is close to being finalized. After it's done, I'll let you know if I have success. Just know that at this point, it's looking like to utilize a 225/65R17 for the spare you'll be searching for a different place to carry it.

With a stock wheel in there, you can see already there isn't much room for that tire to grow. It just barely sits under the top of the surrounding foam.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hadn't really considered the 215/65R17 as an option...until I saw the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is available in this size.
Even though the Discount Tire site states 12 are available for order, they don't actually exist. And I'm told the backorders exceed what's inbound at the moment. Going with the A/T3W seems like I might be waiting awhile. Instead, I got talked into the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. Hopefully I don't regret that decision.

·
Registered
2019 touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome man thanks for letting me know. I'm going to go w/ a set of 5 wheels and tires (pirelli scopian all terrain plus @ 265/65/17). I'll probably just use the full spare when i go away or go offroad which isn't that often. otherwise i'll just use a patch kit/AAA if needs be..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got my wheels & tires on Saturday. When I got home, I started messing with the full size spare situation. The wheel is centered in the spare tire area same as stock. With a longer screw (100mm in my case), I was able to secure the full size spare similar to the factory spare. My original thought was to modify the foam topper. Once the wheel was in place, I realized there's no point in trying to utilize the factory foam. Today I used different sizes of 6063Al U-channel to create supports for the removable cargo area floor. It might be slightly over built.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Sport
65 Posts
Always a good idea to carry a full size spare wheel/tire in everyday city driving. But it becomes a must-have option for long distance ski or off road trips. I remember good old days when almost all cars had a full-size spare tire in the trunk. Now for all the stupid reasons to save weight and cost, some cars don't even have a compact spare tire and all you get is a compressor and sealant. I really want to see how well the sealant will work for a tire that is blown into pieces. In some cases when your car is in very remote location with no help around, having a full size spare could means whether your family will make it back to civilization or face dire consequences….

Another reason to have a full size spare is that you can do 5 tire rotation. This means that you always have a full size spare tire with similarly worn tread. If you need get a new tire after driving like 20K miles, having a brand new tire mixed with other three tires with 20K miles will upset how the car drives and handles.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
697 Posts
I run a full size spare but my wheels are much larger than stock at 18x9 running 245/255 tires. I keep the spare in rotation so it's a five tire rotation. Around town I don't normally have the spare in the back (on top of the tray) and I just put it in when going out of town. If something happens I can continue on without issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts