Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to have the forum back. Discovered about a week ago that my front brake pads will soon be needing replacement after only about 20,000 miles. This will be done by a good non-dealer shop. Any suggestions for replacement pads that would last longer and perform at least as well as original.

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
I just popped in some Hawk HPS pads over the last two weeks. Front first, and rears today. So far, I really like them. I will know more after a few laps on the Auto X course next weekend.

I actaully put them in for their better initial bite and additional stopping power for racing. My old pads are only about 55% worn in 19,000 miles.

Reply if you want part numbers. Initially I did get the wrong rears from www.ajusa.com They have since fixed their fitment guide.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
I'm partial to the Carbotech Bobcats. They make for some nice street pads; lots of grip, but dusting is kept to a minimum and they won't eat rotors.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I'm running the hawks as well. A little noisy until they are warm (although I may just need more brake quiet applied...) and they dust pretty heavily, but they work really well. Since I could care less about the dusting, I'm really happy with them.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
I ran Hawk HPS pads on my maxima and loved them. They do dust a bit but nowhere near as much as the old EBC formula. Those were terrible. I think the new EBC formula is supposed to be better. I'll probably go with the HPS pads again when I do my brake upgrade.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I've read a few reviews of the EBC green that say while they don't dust all that much, they smell horrible... bad enough that people complain when using them for autoX days.

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
I referenced subydude.com

ajusa had better pricing and I had a 10% coupon at the time. ajusa's website is still out of date.

Part nums:

Front CT929
Rear CT1004 comes with backers

S

·
0 Posts
I'm running green stuff on the front and they rock. Heaps better than the sotck ones.

Next time will probably go red stuff as I have been told these will suit the Foz better and grip better as the Foz is a heavier vehicle than what the green stuff is designed for.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT touring CVT
981 Posts
What are the thoughts on the Carbotech pads?
I noticed today that the wear indicators on my front pads are making contact with the rotor producing that faint scrubbing noise. It increases a bit with brake application. I suppose I am now in the market for new pads but I do not want anything noisy, extremely dusty, or in need of warm up before they stop the vehicle.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I will finally be throwing my EBC Reds on next week that I got from SubieGal about a century ago...my buddy Keefe said for me to be careful of it eating my rotors :shock: so I might end up w/ new pads after a short bit but we'll see...I will have a little write up on it. I think Peaty was running the EBC Reds as well. I will have to ask him.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4284

S

·
0 Posts
Changing the pads is a simple job, took me about 20mins to do both sides and that included a rotor change.

Best thing you can get is a gadget to compress the pistons back in to make room for the new pads, or use a clamp and some wood. Makes life much easier and allows the calipers to fit over the rotors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I put in a set of EBC redstuff ceramics about two months ago, and I have absolutely nothing good to say about them , they are as dusty as the previous OEM's, perform very weakly and take long to heat up enough to get grip thats not even as good as OEM, they also ate some big deep grooves in my freshly machined rotors. So, thats one guys review.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
ploney said:
Reply if you want part numbers.
Could you post the part numbers please? I'm getting the front and the rear ones.

·
FXT Alumnus
662 Posts
ploney said:

ajusa had better pricing and I had a 10% coupon at the time. ajusa's website is still out of date.

Part nums:

Front CT929
Again. Dude, scroll up.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
ploney said:
ploney said:

Part nums:

Front CT929
Again. Dude, scroll up.
Of course, you could buy them from me for the same price as Subydude, and support my efforts to get into the aftermarket.

:D :D

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
ploney said:
ploney said:

Part nums:

Front CT929
Again. Dude, scroll up.
Would be nice of you to make them in bold, so they can be seen better :D Thanks!

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Roo said:
ploney said:
ploney said:

Part nums:

Front CT929
Again. Dude, scroll up.
Of course, you could buy them from me for the same price as Subydude, and support my efforts to get into the aftermarket.

Roo, I'm in the market for RacingBrake or PowerSlot rotors, HAWK HKS pads and possibly some SS brake lines. What do you have in stock and what's the price?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
Aleksey said:
Roo said:
ploney said:
ploney said:

Part nums:

Front CT929
Again. Dude, scroll up.

Roo, I'm in the market for RacingBrake or PowerSlot rotors, HAWK HKS pads and possibly some SS brake lines. What do you have in stock and what's the price?
I have Goodridge stainless line, and we'll see which one of my vendors has the rotors and Hawk pads. Since I'm partial to the Carbotechs (which I either have or can get within a day), those are the ones which I have handy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts