Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Yesterday I purchased a 2011 Forester Limited 2.5L. My old vehicle was a 2004 Saturn Vue. The VUE, although 7 years older, has a few nice features that I can't believe the Subaru doesn't have; namely, auto dimming rear view mirror (which I will have installed at a dealership), auto lock/unlocking doors and the lack of automatic headlights.
My elderly mother (81) will be driving the Subaru at times and she is VERY confused by all of the extra controls and bells/whistles. I have also gotten very used to automatic headlights (not daytime lights, which the Saturn also had, but rather, headlights that switched on/off by themselves) for the last 10 years, as has my mother. This is one more thing she is going to have to remember to fiddle with every time she uses the car, which is annoying.
So, does anyone have any recommendations for an aftermarket kit to do this? I would be having it done by someone else as I am not in anyway qualified to install such a thing myself. I already called 2 Subaru dealers; neither offer this as an aftermarket add on.
I already searched the lighting/electrical forum and saw several people asking the same sort of thing but didn't see much there; mostly I saw things about LED headlights and things like that.
I really don't want to be dealing with a dead battery on a regular basis, and a quick test showed that, unlike many other cars, the Subaru also won't turn the lights off after 10 minutes of the car being off/locked which would be a nice fail-safe if nothing else.
Can anyone offer any suggestions? Googling 'subaru aftermarket automatic headlights' yields lots of LED bulb options.
Help?!?
Thanks in advance!
:icon_razz:

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Welcome aboard.

My '10 turns the headlights off when I turn off the ignition and turns them back on when I restart the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Just checked the Quick Reference Guide for the 2011 Forester and it doesn't have Auto lights. You have to turn them off manually.

·
Registered
2011 Forester automatic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
headlights

Just checked the Quick Reference Guide for the 2011 Forester and it doesn't have Auto lights. You have to turn them off manually.
Thanks, lwerring!

Yeah. The manual says you always have to switch them off which is a pain. Does anyone know (short of me going outside and testing it) whether or not the lights will turn off when the key is removed? I think the manual states that the parking lights stay on but I cannot remember. My understanding is that on older models, removing the key turns them off automatically to prevent battery drain.
This will be a lot for my elderly mom to get used to again if I can't modify it :(
She hates all the 'new fangled gadgets' on it. LOL

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
I have a '09 XT Limited, and if my headlights are on before I switch off the ignition, they turn off when I pull the key out. They light up as soon as the key is in.

However, if I turn them off, pull the key out and turn them on, I get a buzzing tone to warn me about my headlights being on.

I don't know whether that's a base feature or if it's only present in higher models.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Turn the car off and take the key out and the lights turn off (all of them). I have a 2011.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Thanks, lwerring!

Yeah. The manual says you always have to switch them off which is a pain. Does anyone know (short of me going outside and testing it) whether or not the lights will turn off when the key is removed? I think the manual states that the parking lights stay on but I cannot remember. My understanding is that on older models, removing the key turns them off automatically to prevent battery drain.
This will be a lot for my elderly mom to get used to again if I can't modify it :(
She hates all the 'new fangled gadgets' on it. LOL
As I said, if the lights are on, when I turn off the ignition, the lights go out. If I don't manually turn them off, the come back on when I restart the vehicle. They DO NOT drain the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts