Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my son his first car, 2000 Forester so he can get some ownership of getting it roadworthy and maintaining it. 205k, will eventually need clutch and headgaskets so I’m considering going the JDM Route. For now, while he learns stick, I noticed it leaks pretty bad from the front of the engine. Are there some common leaks that we can address fairly easily ( like without pulling the engine ) so that it’s not leaking all over my driveway? Otherwise, car is solid. All I think I’ll need for inspection / daily driving is the driveshaft bushing. Have the shifter bushing as well. Everything else works, interior is super clean, all the power options so I think it was a sweet deal at $600.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,607 Posts
Oil cooler leaks are very common at the mileage. It tends to show up as the oil filter has a film of oil on the outside. And it's a 30 minute + approx., $12 part. If the oil seems to be coming from the timing cover, then you have possible front cam shaft seals are leaking. The other thing to look out for is valve cover/spark plug hole oil leaks. But if you are saying you think it needs head gaskets, then that is really where a large portion of the oil is coming from.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts